Why does the heart-muscle never tire?

• Thread starter LennoxLewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire
In summary: The heart, on the other hand, doesn't have to deal with this since it's constantly receiving fresh oxygenated blood.In summary, the heart muscles are different because they are adapted to a constant supply of oxygen and don't need to produce as much waste.
LennoxLewis
During high-school I've read an explanation for this, but unfortunately i forgot. I think heart muscle-tissue was built differently than normal muscles, but that begs the question... why are some often used muscles, like the thighs, not made the same way? Would it require too much energy or protein to sustain them? (that is of course, assuming the diet of a human living in the wild).

Biology news on Phys.org
Brain!
http://www.somasimple.com/pdf_files/spinal_supraspinal.pdf
http://www.somasimple.com/central_governor

I might be wrong, but I think some muscles in eyes/ears does not tire either. This would be much stranger than the heart if these muscles doesn't have any difference from common muscles (i.e. not like the heart).

LennoxLewis said:
Thanks for the links, but could you explain why this kind of tissue is not being used by other often-used muscles?

They are! Striated muscles are your commonly-encountered skeletal muscles, except that these are usually under voluntary control (i.e. you can make your arm go up and down at will). Smooth muscle is used everywhere else to control valves, and make (non-heart) organs work, and are under involuntary control (i.e. you can't make your stomach not digest).

I think it's just that the heart can keep going all the time, because it's always supplied with fresh nutrients, and waste products are removed on a timely basis at your heart's usual level of exertion / beating (as opposed to your skeletal muscles, where lactic acid builds up and glycogen is burnt up when you work out strenuously, or do a moderate amount over a long duration).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia
Catatonic patients will sometimes hold rigid poses for hours and will ignore any external stimuli.
The problem is that catatonic patients do not experience pain.
They may change their posture after many hours without a whisper.

MATLABdude said:
They are! Striated muscles are your commonly-encountered skeletal muscles, except that these are usually under voluntary control (i.e. you can make your arm go up and down at will). Smooth muscle is used everywhere else to control valves, and make (non-heart) organs work, and are under involuntary control (i.e. you can't make your stomach not digest).

I think it's just that the heart can keep going all the time, because it's always supplied with fresh nutrients, and waste products are removed on a timely basis at your heart's usual level of exertion / beating (as opposed to your skeletal muscles, where lactic acid builds up and glycogen is burnt up when you work out strenuously, or do a moderate amount over a long duration).

So basically, what really distinguishes the heart muscles from most other ones is a constant abundance of oxygen as well as constant "maintenance" ?

LennoxLewis said:
So basically, what really distinguishes the heart muscles from most other ones is a constant abundance of oxygen as well as constant "maintenance" ?

Pretty much. Why do our skeletal muscles get 'tired'? We build up too many waste products, run out of the energy stored in the cells (and deplete our glucose reserves), or aren't getting enough oxygen.

Well, that and a heart is capable of getting started / maintaining itself (until it runs out of fuel / oxygen).

The heart is also worked, constantly. As such, it doesn't get tired because of the work load it is used to maintaining 24/7.

1. Simply because they're adapted to, myocardium is actually a separate category in the muscle groups in some textbooks.
2. If you look at the cardiac cycle, the heart is actually resting a bit longer than it's working
3. as for the waste product thing, my hypothesis is that when blood gets fresh oxygen from the lungs, it's first stop is the heart through the coronary arteries with its rich oxygen content and other resources, the heart gets plenty of "food" :D

Other muscles get sore after exercise simply because they produce acid faster than cells could metabolize them.

1. What makes the heart muscle different from other muscles in the body?

The heart muscle, also known as the cardiac muscle, is unique in that it is a type of involuntary muscle. This means that it is not under conscious control and is constantly working to pump blood and maintain circulation throughout the body. Other muscles, such as those in the arms and legs, are voluntary and require conscious effort to move.

2. How is the heart muscle able to continuously contract without getting tired?

The heart muscle has a high concentration of mitochondria, which are responsible for producing energy in the form of ATP. This allows the heart to continuously contract and relax without getting tired. Additionally, the heart has a rich supply of oxygen and nutrients from the blood, which helps to support its high energy demands.

3. Can the heart muscle get tired or fatigued?

While the heart muscle does not tire in the same way as other muscles, it can experience fatigue in certain circumstances. For example, if the body is under great physical or emotional stress, the heart may have to work harder and can become fatigued. In some cases, this can lead to conditions such as heart failure or heart disease.

4. Can exercise improve the endurance of the heart muscle?

Regular exercise can improve the endurance of the heart muscle by making it stronger and more efficient. As the heart becomes stronger, it is able to pump more blood with each contraction, which reduces the overall workload and fatigue on the muscle. This is why regular physical activity is important for maintaining a healthy heart.

5. Are there any factors that can negatively affect the endurance of the heart muscle?

Certain lifestyle factors, such as a poor diet, lack of exercise, and smoking, can negatively affect the endurance of the heart muscle. These habits can lead to conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity, which can put added strain on the heart and decrease its endurance over time. It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to support the endurance of the heart muscle.