Why does the mass stay the same during combustion?

In summary, when burning something, the mass decreases because some of the initial solid matter is converted to gas. However, if the gas is kept in a closed system, the overall mass stays the same. This is due to the fact that the gas, although it changes in composition during combustion, does not escape the system. This explains why the mass stays the same in a closed system.
saranya_sarah
Noticed that when u burn something its mass decreased like if u place a fuse on a scale and burn it, its mass decreases. But Antoine Lavoiser determined that if all the particles in the gas collected, like if you burn the fuse inside a closed bottle the mass stays the same...i don't understand this concept n how it works. Please help me and thanks in advance :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Some fraction of the initial solid matter gets converted to gas*. If you let the gas escape, the remaining mass is lower than the initial mass. If you keep all gas in the system, you see that the overall mass stayed the same.
I don't understand the problem.

*it also changes its composition, that is the point of combustion, but it is not relevant here.

mfb said:
Some fraction of the initial solid matter gets converted to gas*. If you let the gas escape, the remaining mass is lower than the initial mass. If you keep all gas in the system, you see that the overall mass stayed the same.
I don't understand the problem.

*it also changes its composition, that is the point of combustion, but it is not relevant here.
My question was just why the mass stayed the same and you answered it...thanks

Related to Why does the mass stay the same during combustion?

What is internal combustion?

Internal combustion is a process in which fuel is burned inside an engine to produce energy. This energy is then used to power the engine and perform work.

What are the types of internal combustion engines?

There are two main types of internal combustion engines: spark ignition engines (also known as gasoline engines) and compression ignition engines (also known as diesel engines). Both types work by burning a mixture of fuel and air inside a cylinder to produce energy.

How does internal combustion work?

Internal combustion engines work by taking in a mixture of fuel and air, compressing it, and then igniting it with a spark or high pressure. This combustion creates a rapid expansion of gases, which then push against pistons in the engine. This movement of the pistons is what ultimately powers the engine.

What are the advantages of internal combustion engines?

Internal combustion engines have several advantages, including high power-to-weight ratio, high efficiency, and versatility in fuel options. They are also relatively low in cost and can be used in a variety of applications, from cars to power generators.

What are the environmental impacts of internal combustion engines?

Internal combustion engines emit pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter, which can contribute to air pollution and climate change. However, advancements in technology and the use of alternative fuels are helping to reduce these impacts.