Why Does the Milk Jug Stay Put When the Paper is Pulled?

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the milk jug will not topple over if it is sitting on a piece of paper that is pulled quickly from under it. This is because the jug has mass and inertia, which resists changes in motion.
GreatEscapist
Our latest physics assignment was think-about-it-physics, not actual math physics.

Homework Statement

A milk jug sits on top of a sheet of paper. If this sheet of paper is pulled quickly from under the jug, the jug will not topple over. What explains this the best?

A. The jug has a lot of mass
B. The jug does not have a lot of mass
C. The jug has inertia
D. None of the above

Homework Equations

I wish there were equations to use...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, long story short, my friend and I (Who were supposed to be working on this together) got in a huge argument over if it is C or D. (I'm pretty sure that those were the choices for A and B. The point is, they weren't the answer)

I put down D, because inertia just didn't sound/feel right. It probably is. She pointed out that inertia would hold it there, because inertia is *basically* the tendency of an object to resist changes in motion. So it wouldn't topple. But see, here's the thing- pulling something from beneath WOULD change its inertia. But does pulling it out faster make it so that it doesn't affect inertia?

I say D, because I think it's something else- I just don't know what it is. :-p

PLEEEEASE help me. I know it's easy, but we both over-analyze. Sucks for us.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreatEscapist said:
Our latest physics assignment was think-about-it-physics, not actual math physics.

Homework Statement

A milk jug sits on top of a sheet of paper. If this sheet of paper is pulled quickly from under the jug, the jug will not topple over. What explains this the best?

A. The jug has a lot of mass
B. The jug does not have a lot of mass
C. The jug has inertia
D. None of the above

Homework Equations

I wish there were equations to use...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, long story short, my friend and I (Who were supposed to be working on this together) got in a huge argument over if it is C or D. (I'm pretty sure that those were the choices for A and B. The point is, they weren't the answer)

I put down D, because inertia just didn't sound/feel right. It probably is. She pointed out that inertia would hold it there, because inertia is *basically* the tendency of an object to resist changes in motion. So it wouldn't topple. But see, here's the thing- pulling something from beneath WOULD change its inertia. But does pulling it out faster make it so that it doesn't affect inertia?

I say D, because I think it's something else- I just don't know what it is. :-p

PLEEEEASE help me. I know it's easy, but we both over-analyze. Sucks for us.

THis is actually a little more complicated than it seems. But for an introductory class a short explanation... The jug has mass thus it has inertia. Inertia is the tendency to resist a change in motion (resist accelertion). So the jug "wants" to stay at rest. Removing the paper from underneath does not change the mass or the inertia of the jug.

The thing about this is the paper must be accelerated rapidly. If you just pull at a fairly constant velocity on the jug will stay right on top of the paper, so friction between the jug and the paper plays a role also. If you pull rapidly on the paper, then you "overcome" the force of friction which has the tendency to make the paper and jug stay together. Pulling the paper rapidly, again, has nothing to do with the inertia of the jug.

Maybe saying that there is an insignificant amount of friction between the jug and the paper would help the problem seem clearer. Trying this experiment with nice smooth silk v. gritty sandpaper, instead of paper, would show you that friction plays an important role.

GAH! I was wrong. I hate that- so much.

Well, It did sort of make sense before when she said it was inertia. But that makes even more sense now.

Well it gets a bit more sticky also.

If the milk jug did topple it would be because of the torque exerted by the friction between the milk and the paper. It would cause the jug to actually begin to rotate. Once the jug rotated enough that its center of mass was not above the contact surface between the jug and the paper, it would topple due to gravity.

And then of course the center of mass changes as you pull the paper out as we have a liquid in the container. All these things are a bit messy in the real world so we try to make them simple situations by putting in what sometimes are unrealistic parameters to make sure we get rid of a lot of pesky variables.

Last edited:

I can provide a response to this content by clarifying the concept of inertia and how it applies to the milk jug problem. Inertia is indeed the tendency of an object to resist changes in motion, which means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

In the case of the milk jug on the sheet of paper, the jug has a certain amount of inertia due to its mass. When the paper is pulled quickly from under the jug, the jug's inertia causes it to resist the change in motion and remain in its original position. This is because the external force of the paper being pulled is not strong enough to overcome the jug's inertia.

It is not the speed at which the paper is pulled that affects the jug's inertia, but rather the magnitude of the external force acting on the jug. If the paper was pulled slowly, the jug would still have enough inertia to resist the change in motion and remain on the paper.

Therefore, the correct answer is C - the jug's inertia explains why it does not topple over when the paper is pulled quickly from under it. It is not the mass of the jug that is the determining factor, but rather the inertia associated with that mass. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you and your friend. Remember, in science, it is important to always consider the underlying principles and concepts rather than just over-analyzing individual details.

Related to Why Does the Milk Jug Stay Put When the Paper is Pulled?

1. What is the "milk jug inertia problem"?

The "milk jug inertia problem" is a physics problem that involves finding the force exerted on a milk jug when it is quickly pulled out of a refrigerator and dropped onto a table. This problem is often used to demonstrate the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion.

2. How do you solve the milk jug inertia problem?

To solve the milk jug inertia problem, you need to use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the milk jug, and a is the acceleration. You also need to consider the initial velocity of the milk jug and the distance it travels before coming to a stop on the table. By plugging in these values and solving for F, you can find the force exerted on the milk jug.

3. What factors affect the milk jug inertia problem?

The main factors that affect the milk jug inertia problem are the mass of the milk jug, the initial velocity at which it is pulled out of the refrigerator, and the distance it travels before coming to a stop on the table. Other factors that may affect the problem include the type of surface the milk jug is dropped onto and any external forces acting on the milk jug.

4. How does the milk jug inertia problem relate to real-life situations?

The milk jug inertia problem is a simplified version of real-life situations involving inertia, such as a car coming to a sudden stop or a person falling off a moving skateboard. In these situations, the objects involved have mass and initial velocity, and external forces (such as friction or air resistance) can also affect their motion.

5. What is the significance of understanding the milk jug inertia problem?

Understanding the milk jug inertia problem can help us understand how objects behave in real-life situations and how forces affect their motion. This knowledge is important for engineers and scientists in designing and predicting the movements of objects, as well as for everyday situations such as driving a car or playing sports.