Why do objects have a uniqueness and not blend?

• Thread starter octelcogopod
  • Start date
In summary, the Pauli exclusion principle states that two particles with the same quantum state cannot occupy the same space.
octelcogopod
I know nothing about quantum physics and I have nowhere else to ask.

What I'm wondering is why there appears to be a "uniqueness" to all objects in the world.
For instance my pepsi bottle does not blend with my other pepsi bottle, and they will always be self contained objects.
First I thought that it was just at an atomic level, the objects must be tied together there.
But then I thought, how are atoms created on the quantum level?
Why don't two objects of the same atomic structure "blend" together when they meet?
Why are all objects unique and separate, while the electrons and atoms still remain "glued" to each other to create the object?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, at the particle scale, when two of the same particle are in proximity of each other, it is impossible to differentiate between their wavefunctions.

So an object is glued together because the particles are extra close?
How does an objects particles know it 'belongs' to one particular object?
And why don't objects blend when they come in contact.

I guess those are my two questions.

The atoms that make up the glass of the pepsi bottle are arranged in a way that has the least potential energy. They form a stable bound system because energy is needed to redistribute or arrange them differently. If you supply enough heat, atoms get enough energy to break from the potential that holds them.

Glass will get softer and softer as the temperature rises. For a crystal like sodium chloride, there is a distinct melting point, when the solid becomes liquid.

In short, a particle 'knows' it is part of some greater thing because it feels forces holding it in a certain way relative to the other constituents. Thus, two distinct objects cannot merge unless a lot of energy is supplied.

If your question is about how it's possible for two pieces of material to be brought close together without becoming one, the answer is this process is called cold welding.

Finally, there is the Pauli Exclusion Principle which is responsible for (among many other things) Degeneracy Pressure which prevents total gravitational collapse of White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars, etc.

"Blending" doesn't occur because of forces (EM, Nuclear, etc) and effects that are present at energy levels below that generated by the heat/density of the VERY early (as in microseconds) universe. Then at the extremes when it's "Gravity vs. Quantum Effects" The Pauli Exlusion Principle (MAJOR SIMPLIFICATION INCOMING) which can be considered the ultimate "anti-blender" for matter only breaks down within the Event Horizon of a Black Hole (assuming they exist as described by Hawking et al).

In theory, within a BH even Degeneracy Pressures are overcome and a gravitational singularity forms. At that point everything would lose individual identity, which may or may not lead to the possible Information Paradox.

EDIT: Edited for "non" in the exlusion principle. Sorry!

Last edited:
Frame Dragger said:
Finally, there is the Pauli Non-Exclusion Principle which is responsible for (among many other things) Degeneracy Pressure which prevents total gravitational collapse of White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars, etc.

Ok, I have seen this a couple of times on here now ... what is the "pauli non-exclusion principle"? Does that somehow refer to bose-einstein statistics? A google search on the term was relatively fruitless (most of the hits referred back to PF). Also, at the subatomic level, isn't all matter made up of fermions? So wouldn't the regular exclusion principle hold (as you seem to say below)?

"Blending" doesn't occur because of forces (EM, Nuclear, etc) and effects that are present at energy levels below that generated by the heat/density of the VERY early (as in microseconds) universe. Then at the extremes when it's "Gravity vs. Quantum Effects" The Pauli Exlusion Principle (MAJOR SIMPLIFICATION INCOMING) which can be considered the ultimate "anti-blender" for matter only breaks down within the Event Horizon of a Black Hole (assuming they exist as described by Hawking et al).

In theory, within a BH even Degeneracy Pressures are overcome and a gravitational singularity forms. At that point everything would lose individual identity, which may or may not lead to the possible Information Paradox.

SpectraCat said:
Ok, I have seen this a couple of times on here now ... what is the "pauli non-exclusion principle"? Does that somehow refer to bose-einstein statistics? A google search on the term was relatively fruitless (most of the hits referred back to PF). Also, at the subatomic level, isn't all matter made up of fermions? So wouldn't the regular exclusion principle hold (as you seem to say below)?

Wikipedia has a shockingly decent entry on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle

However, to be simplistic it just says you can't have two 'things' with identical values occupying the same coordinates in a quantum system anymore than you can have two classical objects occupying the same space at the same time. That is generalized to a number of situations that are very common.

Remember, a White Dwarf is mostly a soup of free electrons and atomic nuclei. If gravitational collapse continues, Degeneracy pressure is NOT overcome, but other forces are and the electrons and fused with the protons to form neutrons... aka a neutron star. After that, maybe there are Quark Stars, etc... but the bottom line is that Degeneracy Pressures being overcome = the inside of a BH.

Frame Dragger said:
Wikipedia has a shockingly decent entry on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle

However, to be simplistic it just says you can't have two 'things' with identical values occupying the same coordinates in a quantum system anymore than you can have two classical objects occupying the same space at the same time. That is generalized to a number of situations that are very common.

Remember, a White Dwarf is mostly a soup of free electrons and atomic nuclei. If gravitational collapse continues, Degeneracy pressure is NOT overcome, but other forces are and the electrons and fused with the protons to form neutrons... aka a neutron star. After that, maybe there are Quark Stars, etc... but the bottom line is that Degeneracy Pressures being overcome = the inside of a BH.

Um .. yeah. It was the NON in your post that was confusing me (I have seen similar language in other threads on PF) ... I am totally down with the Pauli Exclusion Principle for fermions. :wink:

The only thing I could find relating to any non-exclusion principle has to do with non-exclusion statistics, which seemed to be applied exclusively to bosonic systems in the references I could find with a semi-cursory (~10 minute) online search.

So, that was the backdrop against which I was asking my question.

SpectraCat said:
Um .. yeah. It was the NON in your post that was confusing me (I have seen similar language in other threads on PF) ... I am totally down with the Pauli Exclusion Principle for fermions. :wink:

The only thing I could find relating to any non-exclusion principle has to do with non-exclusion statistics, which seemed to be applied exclusively to bosonic systems in the references I could find with a semi-cursory (~10 minute) online search.

So, that was the backdrop against which I was asking my question.

Ahhh... My bad! Bosons certainly are not subject to the Exclusion Principle, but I don't know that there is a specific NON exclusion principle. My guess is that most places on PF it's just people like me with too much coffee and too little sleep.

Last edited:
octelcogopod said:
I know nothing about quantum physics and I have nowhere else to ask.

What I'm wondering is why there appears to be a "uniqueness" to all objects in the world.
For instance my pepsi bottle does not blend with my other pepsi bottle, and they will always be self contained objects.
First I thought that it was just at an atomic level, the objects must be tied together there.
But then I thought, how are atoms created on the quantum level?
Why don't two objects of the same atomic structure "blend" together when they meet?
Why are all objects unique and separate, while the electrons and atoms still remain "glued" to each other to create the object?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the pepsi bottles. Are you asking why if you smash two pepsi bottles together they don't agglomerate and make one big mass?

If that's your question, here's my answer:

That is an inherent chemical property of many substances, just not the pepsi bottle in those conditions. We call the things that "blend" together fluids and the things that don't solids. As for chemical bonding when things touch, there are some things that do that. Those are acids and bases (or pretty much any other spontaneous reaction for that matter). Essentially, the "blended" state has to be in a lower energy state than the separate object state, with no substantial energy hill to get over. If those conditions are not met, two objects that touch will not do anything.

1. Why don't objects blend if they are made of the same material?

Objects may appear to be made of the same material, but they may have different physical and chemical properties. This means that they will have different levels of resistance to blending due to factors such as density, molecular structure, and surface tension.

2. Can all objects be blended together?

No, not all objects can be blended together. Some materials are not compatible with each other and may react in undesirable ways when blended. Additionally, some objects may be too large or too rigid to be able to blend properly.

3. Why do some objects blend easily while others do not?

The ease of blending depends on the physical and chemical properties of the objects. Objects that have similar densities, molecular structures, and surface tensions are more likely to blend easily, while those with significant differences in these properties will have more difficulty blending.

4. Can blending change the properties of an object?

Yes, blending can change the properties of an object. When two or more objects are blended together, their physical and chemical properties may combine or react, resulting in a new set of properties. For example, blending different colored paints can result in a new color.

5. What happens at the molecular level when objects are blended?

When objects are blended, their molecules are mixed together and create a new molecular structure. This can result in the formation of new substances or the alteration of the original objects' properties. The speed and intensity of blending also play a role in the changes that occur at the molecular level.