Why don't radio waves interact with magnetic fields?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've been told that magnetic field does not mask or influence any GHz transmissions; TV, Radio, Wi-Fi, etc. and should not pose a problem. Can someone explain why they do not interact? Credible documentation such a law or theory? Educational documentation? Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

Khashishi
Science Advisor
Superposition principle
Electromagnetic waves travel through each other and through static fields.

Thanks for the reply, however, I'm referring to the field of a permanent magnet. Not an electromagnetic wave.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
as said ...

EM interaction with an EM wave isn't any different to an EM interaction with a Magnetic field

radio signals ARE electromagnetic waves ;)
Correct, but a permanent magnets does not emit electromagnetic waves but rather a gravitational force due to the dipole field, from what I understand. Are electromagnetic waves affected by the magnetic field? If not, why not?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Correct, but a permanent magnets does not emit electromagnetic waves but rather a gravitational force due to the dipole field, from what I understand. Are electromagnetic waves affected by the magnetic field? If not, why not?
read Khashishi's and my previous post again ... they both answer you Q

and gravity has nothing to do with it ...

Dave

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Thanks for the reply, however, I'm referring to the field of a permanent magnet. Not an electromagnetic wave.
All of those signals are EM waves. These waves simply don't interact with a static magnetic field in such a way as to be influenced by it. Note that asking why something doesn't happen is hard to answer. The simple answer is that that's just the way the laws work.