Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why don't radio waves interact with magnetic fields?

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    I've been told that magnetic field does not mask or influence any GHz transmissions; TV, Radio, Wi-Fi, etc. and should not pose a problem. Can someone explain why they do not interact? Credible documentation such a law or theory? Educational documentation? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2
    Superposition principle
    Electromagnetic waves travel through each other and through static fields.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply, however, I'm referring to the field of a permanent magnet. Not an electromagnetic wave.

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

as said ...

EM interaction with an EM wave isn't any different to an EM interaction with a Magnetic field

6. Feb 5, 2015 #5
    Correct, but a permanent magnets does not emit electromagnetic waves but rather a gravitational force due to the dipole field, from what I understand. Are electromagnetic waves affected by the magnetic field? If not, why not?

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

read Khashishi's and my previous post again ... they both answer you Q

and gravity has nothing to do with it ...

Dave

8. Feb 5, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

All of those signals are EM waves. These waves simply don't interact with a static magnetic field in such a way as to be influenced by it. Note that asking why something doesn't happen is hard to answer. The simple answer is that that's just the way the laws work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook