Magnetic Field effect on Radio Waves (Wi-Fi Interference)

In summary: Is this what you have?This is what I have. A horseshoe magnet with the cable inside the U of the magnet will have a much weaker hold than a standard magnet. The closed geometry of the magnet will also reduce the field strength inside the magnet.
Trevor Porter
Hello Physics Forum! I'm in desperate need of proof that magnets or magnetic field will not effect the operation or range or wireless access (Wi-Fi). I have 1/2" rare Earth magnets within a metal housing every 5' within the same area as wireless routers and the customer is concerned that it will effect their wireless capabilities. I've need in the forums that magnetic field will not directly effect radio frequencies in classical physics (Quantum Physics need not apply). Can anyone provide documentation to support this from a credible source, such as textbook, university study, etc.? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Trevor Porter said:
Hello Physics Forum! I'm in desperate need of proof that magnets or magnetic field will not effect the operation or range or wireless access (Wi-Fi). I have 1/2" rare Earth magnets within a metal housing every 5' within the same area as wireless routers and the customer is concerned that it will effect their wireless capabilities. I've need in the forums that magnetic field will not directly effect radio frequencies in classical physics (Quantum Physics need not apply). Can anyone provide documentation to support this from a credible source, such as textbook, university study, etc.? Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

What are the magnets for? If they get near any wireless devices, they certainly can affect the ability of the radio circuit to operate (by saturating inductors on those devices). But the magnets would need to come within a few cm of the device to have an effect.

DC magnetic fields do not interact with the RF EM fields used by WiFi (as long as the magnets are kept far enough away from the WiFi devices so that there is no degradation of the inductors in the devices).

Hi there! Thanks for the reply. The magnets are for supporting bundled cable to steel a steel support structure. They will never be within cm of the device, a the closest point would be 3-6" but typically would be multiple feet away. The difficult part is that I need documentation to present to customer to resolve their concerns of the magnets interfering with their Wi-Fi... Does it exist?

Trevor Porter said:
Hi there! Thanks for the reply. The magnets are for supporting bundled cable to steel a steel support structure. They will never be within cm of the device, a the closest point would be 3-6" but typically would be multiple feet away. The difficult part is that I need documentation to present to customer to resolve their concerns of the magnets interfering with their Wi-Fi... Does it exist?

3-6" is pretty close, especially if the mobile WiFi device (a smartphone?) is moving past the magnet. In addition to inductor saturation concerns at close distance, the relative movement of the magnet and device induces voltages in the circuit loops in the device, causing temporary degradation of operation as the device moves by the magnet. If this is a rare event, then there will be no noticeable degradation.

BTW, if the magnets are well designed and are stuck to a ferrous metal, there is very little fringe magnetic field anyway. The bulk of the magnetic field is contained within the "magnetic path" through the magnet and the steel. Are these horseshoe magnets with the cable inside the U of the magnet? It sounds like the steel support structure will be the biggest problem for the WiFi reliability because of multipath issues anyway...

The 3"-6" is worst case and we will most likely be able to avoid being anywhere close to that proximity. The WiFi devices are stationary just as the magnetic supports are. The magnetic supports are enclosed in a metal cup but open to one side where they will attach to steel, then making them fully enclosed. These are small 0.5" flat disk rare Earth magnets. Again, I need some official document or something from a credible source detailing how magnetic field has no affect on radio waves? Is there a physics law that applies? It all comes down to the documentation...

Trevor Porter said:
The 3"-6" is worst case and we will most likely be able to avoid being anywhere close to that proximity. The WiFi devices are stationary just as the magnetic supports are. The magnetic supports are enclosed in a metal cup but open to one side where they will attach to steel, then making them fully enclosed. These are small 0.5" flat disk rare Earth magnets. Again, I need some official document or something from a credible source detailing how magnetic field has no affect on radio waves? Is there a physics law that applies? It all comes down to the documentation...

A better choice for the magnets would be horseshoe or some other closed magnetic path geometry. That will contain the magnetic field, and will give a much stronger holding force for the same amount of magnetic material. It is generally bad design practice to have a magnetic field coming out of your device (think -- person leaning up against it with their wallet and magnetic stripe credit cards inside). Plus, if you use a closed magnetic field magnet geometry, that pretty much eliminates the need to come up with something that is going to convince laypeople that a DC magnet will not cause interference with RF transmissions.

http://cdn.onlinemarketinginstitute.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/magnet_XSmall.jpg

http://www.magnetics-china.com/wp-c...nets02-China-Ningbo-Hilan-Magnets-Factory.jpg
cylindrical-magnets02-China-Ningbo-Hilan-Magnets-Factory.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area in which a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can be visualized as invisible lines of force that surround a magnet or electrical current.

How does a magnetic field affect radio waves?

A magnetic field can alter the direction and strength of radio waves, causing them to become distorted or weakened. This is known as the Faraday effect and is the basis for how magnetic fields can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.

Can magnetic fields interfere with Wi-Fi signals?

Yes, magnetic fields can interfere with Wi-Fi signals. This is because Wi-Fi signals are transmitted through radio waves, and magnetic fields can alter the direction and strength of those waves, causing interference and disruptions in the signal.

What are some common sources of magnetic fields that can interfere with Wi-Fi?

Common sources of magnetic fields that can interfere with Wi-Fi include large appliances, power lines, and electronic devices such as motors and transformers. These sources can emit strong magnetic fields that can disrupt Wi-Fi signals.

How can I reduce Wi-Fi interference from magnetic fields?

To reduce Wi-Fi interference from magnetic fields, you can try moving your Wi-Fi router away from sources of strong magnetic fields or shielding the router with materials that can block magnetic fields. You can also try using a Wi-Fi extender to boost the signal strength in areas where interference is occurring.