Why Don't the Laws of Quantum Mechanics Work at Planck Scales?

• Thread starter jr@kg
  • Start date
In summary, the laws of quantum mechanics break down at distances below Planck's length due to the combination of general relativity and quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle, and the need for quantization of time and space. Superstring theory is believed to unify these two theories, but the existence of gravitons, which would be necessary for this to work, has not been proven. However, the study of these small scales is still important and relevant despite our limited perception of them, and physicists continue to explore and discover new concepts and theories in this field.
jr@kg
Hello,
I do not understand why the laws of Quantum mechanics do not work once you get down to distances below Planck's length.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like you have been reading Brian Greene's books.

Of my knowledge, they break down when you try to combine general relativity and quantum mechanics on such small scales, because gravity (space and time) has yet to be quantisized.

I believe that they also break down (correct me if I am wrong) because of the uncertainty principle. The smaller the space, the more erratic it is.

All of the above leads us to believe that time and space must be quantisised.

As for quantisised, I haven’t the slightest clue how to spell it. :)

This was a bit of a quick post, but I have to go eat.

ΔxΔp≥ћ/2 said:
Sounds to me like you have been reading Brian Greene's books.

Of my knowledge, they break down when you try to combine general relativity and quantum mechanics on such small scales, because gravity (space and time) has yet to be quantisized.

I believe that they also break down (correct me if I am wrong) because of the uncertainty principle. The smaller the space, the more erratic it is.

All of the above leads us to believe that time and space must be quantisised.

As for quantisised, I haven’t the slightest clue how to spell it. :)

Try: "Quantized". Or: "Quantised", if you are British.

Not "quantisisisisised"

This was a bit of a quick post, but I have to go eat.

Also, I do not understand why they suppose the existence of superstrings resolves the problems between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is considered to be a unifying theory, that seems to imply that superstrings do quantize gravity. But that would mean that strings composed gravitons, the existence of which has yet to be proven.

Quantum mechanics breaks down long before the Planck length scale. This is why the same equations that predict the correct spectrum for hydrogen, fail with a heavier nucleus. The Compton wavelength is inconveniently small for a heavy nucleus.

10^-33 is 20 or more orders of magnitude smaller than reality as we experience it, so it seems fairly irrelevant ( like string theory ?).

But our immediate perception of reality is so limited that it would be utterly conceded to consider other orders of magnitude "irrelevant". Things as small as that can not be simply disregarded due to their inferiority of size. They still affect us constantly.

Well, they probably don't really- so long as the laws of physics keep working, that's one distance scale we could probably safely remain ignorant about :-p but it's interesting!

Also, I do not understand why they suppose the existence of superstrings resolves the problems between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is considered to be a unifying theory, that seems to imply that superstrings do quantize gravity. But that would mean that strings composed gravitons, the existence of which has yet to be proven.
A lot of theories say gravitons exist, this is the consequence of the quantisisisisisisisisisation of space.

As for why string theory claims to solve those problems you mentionned, I really suggest you read again (I had to) to understand what Dr. Greene is talking about. He can explain these things much better than myself.

As far as I know, it has been proven that string theory cannot possibly be the theory of everything. However, the more physics books I read, the more I appreciate Dr. Greene's explanations of SR, GR and QM (and some other interesting topics). I recommend The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos to absolutly everybody, even if you only read the non-string chapters.

But our immediate perception of reality is so limited that it would be utterly conceded to consider other orders of magnitude "irrelevant". Things as small as that can not be simply disregarded due to their inferiority of size. They still affect us constantly.
Most physicist will argue that if something cannot be observed than it is not physics. That does not mean smaller scales are irrelevant though.

Thanks for clearing that up. It will certainly help me understand my current readings (though I am not reading Greene, that is where most of my knowledge has come from).

muppet said:
Well, they probably don't really- so long as the laws of physics keep working, that's one distance scale we could probably safely remain ignorant about :-p but it's interesting!

Safely, perhaps, but it'd be a pretty boring world if all we could interact with was the macro-universe.

Safely, perhaps, but it'd be a pretty boring world if all we could interact with was the macro-universe.
If this was the case, physicists wouldn't have jobs. :(

Posted by peter0302:
You miss the point. We interact with the micro-world down to quark/gluon scales. But Planck scales are 100000000000000000000 times smaller at least. We're a long way from that and I'm not in the least bored.

As Pop-eye said, 'a man who is tired of QM is tired of spinach itself.'

Related to Why Don't the Laws of Quantum Mechanics Work at Planck Scales?

What is 10^-33 cm?

10^-33 cm is a unit of length used in physics to describe the scale of the universe at the Planck length. It is approximately 1.6 x 10^-33 centimeters, which is incredibly small and difficult for humans to comprehend.

Why is compatability with 10^-33 cm important?

Understanding compatibility with 10^-33 cm is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe, such as quantum mechanics and relativity. It allows scientists to study the behavior of particles and forces at the smallest scales.

How does the concept of compatability with 10^-33 cm relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a cosmological model that describes the origin and evolution of the universe. At the moment of the Big Bang, the universe was incredibly small and dense, and the scale of 10^-33 cm is necessary to understand the early stages of the universe's existence.

Can technology measure objects at the scale of 10^-33 cm?

Currently, there is no technology that can directly measure objects at the scale of 10^-33 cm. This is because it is smaller than the Planck length, which is the smallest possible length that can be measured. However, scientists can indirectly study this scale through experiments and theoretical models.

How does the concept of compatability with 10^-33 cm impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of compatability with 10^-33 cm has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It allows us to study the behavior of particles and forces at the smallest scales and provides insight into the fundamental laws of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as the Big Bang and helps us understand the origin and evolution of the universe.