Why Few Use Graph Paper for Math & Science: Exploring the Reasons

• Thread starter Beanyboy
  • Start date
In summary: I like to plot everything on one sheet of paper. That way I can see the whole figure at once and make more accurate drawings.
Beanyboy
Can anyone explain the lack of widespread use of "graph-paper" notebooks/notepads" for Math and Science? (Incidentally, the French use them, for all subjects) As a Math/Science learner and teacher, I find the graph paper indispensable. So often you're trying to integrate the numeric and the graphic, so the graph paper is bloody handy. Cost might be a factor, but then, if everyone were using it, the price might come down.

For the life of me, I can't understand why schools don't insist on them from Elementary onwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on preference. For me, I use blank sheets of paper with no lines. Lines distract me and I tend to focus more on putting everything on the proper line and spaced out rather than working the problem. But I do think that graphing paper is too expensive. I have a few engineering student friends and I'm told they are required to use it which looks painful because a sheet of about 100 is $15.

Here is Louisiana, a spiral bound pad of 100 sheets of 4x4 quad ruled paper is less than $2. It's the "nothing fancy" basic stuff I'm referring to. If you're doing any work at all using the functions, graphs, it's really handy.

I never really felt the need for graph paper after high school. If you need something beyond a sketch, then some sort of plotting software seems like a better choice than making an "accurate" hand drawing on graph paper. Graph paper seems particularly suited to the standard algebra and geometry classes in high school.

I rarely did enough graphing by hand to justify buying and carrying around 100+ sheets of graphing paper. And the graphing I did do almost never required anything better than a vague sketch of the graph, which I can do on regular notebook paper just fine.

Beanyboy said:
Can anyone explain the lack of widespread use of "graph-paper" notebooks/notepads" for Math and Science? (Incidentally, the French use them, for all subjects) As a Math/Science learner and teacher, I find the graph paper indispensable. So often you're trying to integrate the numeric and the graphic, so the graph paper is bloody handy. Cost might be a factor, but then, if everyone were using it, the price might come down.

For the life of me, I can't understand why schools don't insist on them from Elementary onwards.
Here in India, graph papers are extensively used upto the tenth standard in school. After that, the use reduces, because mostly graphs can be done by hand on notebooks. But in practical examinations, they are still used a lot.

In advanced science, graph papers are mostly not used. This is due to the technology available. Softwares like MATLAB will plot a graph for you, draw the best fit line, and do whatever you like. That reduces manual calculations to a great extent.

Graph paper makes the writing harder to read, so it's not going to be used unless you need to make a graph.

"Engineering Paper" is specifically designed to let you have graph coordinate lines available if you need them for graphing, but because they are on the back side of the sheets, they don't interfere with reading text on the front side. Unfortunately pads of Engineering Paper are expensive, so they are typically only used by folks who do a lot of mixing of text and figures in their work or schoolwork... :smile:https://www.walmart.com/ip/TOPS-Eng...93696&wl11=online&wl12=21452190&wl13=&veh=sem
c40f5b79-15e0-4c5f-803f-2082003019fa_1.b3e6411c7edcd75863bc4ffbc8fc27d3.jpg

Attachments

• c40f5b79-15e0-4c5f-803f-2082003019fa_1.b3e6411c7edcd75863bc4ffbc8fc27d3.jpg
    c40f5b79-15e0-4c5f-803f-2082003019fa_1.b3e6411c7edcd75863bc4ffbc8fc27d3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint, Wrichik Basu, ChemAir and 1 other person
opus said:
I guess it depends on preference. For me, I use blank sheets of paper with no lines. Lines distract me and I tend to focus more on putting everything on the proper line and spaced out rather than working the problem.
Same with me.

Likes opus

1. Why is graph paper not commonly used in math and science?

There are a few reasons for this. One possible explanation is that with the increased availability of digital tools, many people find it more convenient to use graphing software or online graphing tools for creating graphs and charts. Another reason could be that some individuals may find it difficult to read and interpret information on graph paper, particularly if they have visual impairments or struggle with spatial reasoning. Additionally, some math and science courses may not require the use of graph paper, so students may not be as familiar with it.

2. Is graph paper still considered a useful tool in math and science?

Yes, graph paper can still be a useful tool in certain situations. For example, it can be helpful for creating hand-drawn graphs or for sketching out ideas before transferring them to a digital format. It may also be beneficial for individuals who prefer to work with physical materials rather than digital ones.

3. What are the advantages of using graph paper in math and science?

One advantage is that graph paper can provide a visual representation of data and make it easier to spot patterns and trends. It can also help with precise measurements and accurate plotting of data points. Additionally, it can be useful for graphing functions or equations by hand.

4. Are there different types of graph paper for different purposes?

Yes, there are various types of graph paper available for different purposes. Some common types include Cartesian graph paper, polar graph paper, log-log graph paper, and semilog graph paper. Each type has a different layout and is designed for specific types of data and functions.

5. Can graph paper be used for subjects other than math and science?

Yes, graph paper can be used for a variety of subjects, such as art, design, and engineering. It can also be useful for organizing and planning projects, creating floor plans, and even writing music. The grid lines on graph paper can be applied to many different disciplines to help with precision and organization.