Why Inflating Balloons Causes them to Gain a Positive Charge

In summary, it seems that balloons gain a positive charge when they are inflated, and this charge can be diminished by handling the balloons.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Two new uninflated balloons do not attract or repel each other. But after blowing them up, they repel each other and stick to the wall, without having to be rubbed against hair or anything else. Why do balloons gain charge simply by being inflated?

It seems that the newly-inflated balloons gain a positive charge, as they attract other balloons that have been rubbed against hair. Does inflating a balloon cause it to lose electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly the balloons you have inflated have gained a net positive charge.
Does the effect occur when you inflate the balloons with bottled gas?
Does it still occur in cold weather?

Does touching something to it reduce the positive charge?

I didn't know you could charge a balloon by inflating it

I didn't know that either. My experience told me I had to rub it against my hair. Everything I read and everything I googled said the same thing. It only happens with one particular brand of balloons which are designed to be water balloons. The larger party balloons don't acquire charge when inflated.

I haven't tried bottled gas, or cold weather. The charge does get reduced when you handle the balloons, and it eventually wears off. Two balloons hanging from strings repel each other for a few hours, slowly coming closer until they touch several hours later.

I have a vague recollection of the effect you are talking about.
It could be that handling the balloon as you inflate it is what is doing the trick - though I'd expect that to provide the opposite charge.

Sunlight (or room lighting) could be knocking electrons off the surface, particularly if it is warm (which will happen in rapid inflation of thin balloons) - something that will be material-dependent.
You could try modestly inflating a balloon - discharging it - then seeing if you can get it to take a positive charge by exposure to bright sunlight or rapid heating or motion of warm air (hair-blower).

That's a strange phenomenon. Are you sure you are inflating the water balloons and the party balloons with the same method? The same pump?
Also does the charging only happen the first time you inflate them? Will they charge again when you deflate and then inflate them a second time?

1. Why do balloons become positively charged when they are inflated?

When a balloon is inflated, the rubber material of the balloon rubs against the material of the balloon pump. This rubbing creates friction which results in the transfer of electrons from one material to another. The electrons that are transferred to the balloon are negatively charged, leaving the balloon with a positive charge.

2. Can any type of balloon become positively charged when inflated?

Yes, any type of balloon can become positively charged when inflated. The material of the balloon and the material of the balloon pump will determine the amount of friction and electron transfer that occurs, but all balloons can gain a positive charge through inflation.

3. Is there a way to prevent balloons from gaining a positive charge when inflated?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent balloons from gaining a positive charge when inflated. One way is to use a pump made of a different material, such as plastic or metal, that does not create as much friction. Another way is to dampen the materials with a small amount of water, which can reduce the buildup of static electricity.

4. Can the charge on an inflated balloon be reversed?

Yes, the charge on an inflated balloon can be reversed. The positive charge on the balloon can be neutralized by touching it with a conductive material, such as a metal object. The electrons will transfer from the balloon to the metal, leaving the balloon with a neutral charge.

5. Why do inflated balloons stick to surfaces?

Inflated balloons stick to surfaces due to the electrostatic force between the positive charge on the balloon and the negative charge on the surface. This force is stronger than the force of gravity, causing the balloon to stick to the surface rather than fall to the ground.