Why is a black surface a better emitter of IR than a silvered surface?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Glenn G
Messages
113
Reaction score
12
I can just get the idea of a silvered surface reflecting IR and a black surface absorbing IR (analogous to how light behaves) but I can't see how a silvered surface, if warm is a poorer emitter than a Matt black surface, if warm?
Would appreciate any help without going too in depth.
Regards,
G.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
I can just get the idea of a silvered surface reflecting IR and a black surface absorbing IR (analogous to how light behaves) but I can't see how a silvered surface, if warm is a poorer emitter than a Matt black surface, if warm?
Would appreciate any help without going too in depth.
Regards,
G.
hi there :smile:

there's no point me typing out a long answer when some one else has already done so ...

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/159856/why-is-black-the-best-emittercheers
Dave