Why is a black surface a better emitter of IR than a silvered surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of how different surfaces behave when emitting infrared (IR) radiation. It is mentioned that a silvered surface reflects IR while a black surface absorbs it, similar to how light behaves. However, there is confusion about how a warm silvered surface is a poorer emitter compared to a warm matt black surface. The conversation ends with a request for an explanation without going into too much detail.
Glenn G
I can just get the idea of a silvered surface reflecting IR and a black surface absorbing IR (analogous to how light behaves) but I can't see how a silvered surface, if warm is a poorer emitter than a Matt black surface, if warm?
Would appreciate any help without going too in depth.
Regards,
G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
I can just get the idea of a silvered surface reflecting IR and a black surface absorbing IR (analogous to how light behaves) but I can't see how a silvered surface, if warm is a poorer emitter than a Matt black surface, if warm?
Would appreciate any help without going too in depth.
Regards,
G.
hi there :smile:

there's no point me typing out a long answer when some one else has already done so ...

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/159856/why-is-black-the-best-emittercheers
Dave

1. What is the difference between emission and absorption of IR?

Emission of IR refers to the release of infrared radiation from an object or substance, while absorption of IR refers to the absorption of this radiation by the same object or substance.

2. How does emission and absorption of IR relate to global warming?

The emission and absorption of IR play a crucial role in global warming. Greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, absorb IR radiation emitted from the Earth's surface, trapping heat and contributing to the warming of the planet.

3. Can humans control the emission and absorption of IR?

Yes, humans can control the emission and absorption of IR through various means. For example, we can reduce our carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources and limiting our use of fossil fuels, which contribute to the emission of IR. We can also mitigate the effects of IR absorption by implementing measures such as planting trees, which absorb CO2 from the atmosphere.

4. How do scientists measure the emission and absorption of IR?

Scientists use instruments such as spectrometers to measure the emission and absorption of IR. These instruments can detect and measure the intensity of infrared radiation emitted or absorbed by a substance, providing valuable data for research and analysis.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying emission and absorption of IR?

Studying the emission and absorption of IR has various real-world applications, including climate research, atmospheric studies, and the development of technology such as infrared cameras and sensors. It also helps us better understand the impact of human activities on the environment and how we can mitigate them.