Why is AC more dangerous than DC?

• Thread starter vf_one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, the peak voltage of AC may be the same as DC, but AC is more dangerous because the current is alternating, which can cause ventricular fibrillation and lead to death. This is due to the fact that the heart cannot sustain a rate of 60 beats per second. On the other hand, DC has a constant current which makes it easier to let go if shocked. However, high power DC can be more dangerous due to difficulties in switching it. Additionally, AC can be fatal with as little as 20mA of current.
vf_one
Why is AC more dangerous than DC even if the peak voltage of AC is the same as the DC voltage?

This is a problem from our exam. Before I read the question I always thought that AC is more dangerous than DC because at the same voltage, AC voltage is higher as it has a peak voltage than DC. I've searched online and some people say DC is more dangerous than AC so I'm really not sure what the answer is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What important organ in your body does things at a regular rate controlled by nerve signals?
How are nerve signals and electricity related.

-ps high power DC can be more dangerous than AC because of difficulties switching it - but that doesn't really relate to how low AC currents kill you.

I was always taught that an AC shock would throw you off while DC would make you hold on; so AC was safer.

certainly DC is the one dangerous, remember, when we represent DC potential on a graph is a straight line. The straight line means if DC happens to hold you, it's going to be a hard time for you.
AC is safer, because graphaically is alternating, which means you may have a chance to escape.

Hey

Thank you guys for your reply :)

From NobodySpecial's hint I'm thinking that since the current in AC is alternating it will be more likely to cause ventricular fibrillation than DC. Can anyone confirm is this is right?

Yes, AC causes your heart to try and beat at the AC frequency.
Since 60beats/second is not really sustainable - you die.
AC can kill you with as little as 20mA.

wow...i learn new thing today!

What is AC and DC?

AC stands for alternating current and DC stands for direct current. These are two types of electrical current used to power different devices.

Why is AC more commonly used than DC?

AC is more commonly used because it is easier to generate and transmit over long distances. It can also be easily converted to different voltages, making it more versatile for different devices.

Why is AC considered more dangerous than DC?

AC is considered more dangerous because it can cause muscle spasms and fibrillation, which can be fatal. This is because AC constantly changes direction and can disrupt the normal rhythm of the heart.

Can DC be dangerous at all?

Yes, DC can also be dangerous, but it is less likely to cause fatal injuries. DC is more likely to cause burns and can also disrupt the body's nervous system.

How can I protect myself from AC and DC hazards?

To protect yourself from AC and DC hazards, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity. This includes wearing protective gear and avoiding contact with live wires or circuits. It is also important to have a basic understanding of electrical safety and to always use caution when handling any electrical equipment.