Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is (algebraic) topology important?

1. Jul 18, 2005 #1
    Been studying some basic algebraic topology lately. Altough interesting in itself, it would also be interesting to hear if it has any important applications in other branches of mathematics or in other fields (physics?).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

led to the development of category theory...

but seriously, a sound knowledge of algebraic topology is essential to many (most?) areas of mathematics for it has important consequences in analysis and physics, eg the Atiyah-Singer Index theorem, or mathematical physics (topological quantum field theory for one), or dynamical systems (chaos theory to those who like labels), or algebraic geometry (cryptography in some sense), or even in the study of liquid crystals (don't know anything about that but i heard a rumour once).
  4. Jul 18, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is my understanding that string theory makes heavy use of algebraic topology, although I must admit I know very little about either.
  5. Jul 18, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

topology is important and algebraic methods render topology computable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?