Why is aluminum foil attracted to a charged balloon just like paper?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 21K views
MzCurious
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a basic understanding of electrostatics. I know that when I rub a balloon with wool, both the wool and the balloon will become charged. I know that if I bring my charged balloon near neutral paper, the paper will be attracted because of charge polarization. I thought that when I bring my charged balloon near neutral aluminum foil, the foil would be attracted and then quickly repulsed. I expected foil to act like a pith ball, originally attracted then charged upon contact and repulsed. When I do this little experiment at my home, I observe that the foil is attracted to the balloon exactly like the paper.

Why?

Homework Equations


None.
This is a conceptual question.

The Attempt at a Solution


Please, see above.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Aluminum foil is a conductor so the negative charge (electrons) are free to move about the entire medium if no other conductor is touching it. The electrons would move only within the foil away from the negatively charged wool, leaving one side of the aluminum foil with a lack of negative charge, same as positively charged. As long as there's 2 opposite charges, there will be attraction forces between them. When the two objects touch, the charges will neutralize by electrons flowing into the foil. I not sure if the two objects will have zero charge or just have a more evened negative charge though. Hope this helps, its just my understanding from lecture.
 
Last edited: