Why is diffusion coefficient = 1/2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of D = 1/2 in Fick's second law for ordinary diffusion and whether it can be derived. It is mentioned that D is a unit that can be chosen arbitrarily and that people often choose 1/2 because it results in a "usual" solution with a Gaussian distribution. The conversation concludes with an explanation of how this choice leads to a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance t.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

I'm working with a 0ne-dimensional random walk and looking at Fick's second law, below. All I've read seems to take D = 1/2 as a given for ordinary diffusion, but where does this come from? Is there a way to derive it?

Homework Equations

[tex]
\frac{\partial }
{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right) = D\frac{{\partial ^2 }}
{{\partial x^2 }}p\left( {x,t} \right)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially D defines your units, so you are allowed to choose any numerical value. I guess people choose 1/2 because then the "usual" solution is a Gaussian with variance t (instead of √(2Dt)).

Last edited:
Thank you, but can you expand on your answer a bit? Not sure I understand what you mean in your second sentence.

You know how to solve diffusion equation with Fourier transforms, right? The result is
[itex] p = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi Dt}} \exp(-x^2/4Dt) [/itex]
so if you choose D = 1/2, this becomes a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance t.

Of course, now I get it! Thank you.

1. What is the diffusion coefficient and why is it important?

The diffusion coefficient is a measure of how fast a substance diffuses or spreads out in a given medium. It is important because it helps us understand the rate of diffusion, which has implications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and physics.

2. How is the diffusion coefficient calculated?

The diffusion coefficient is calculated by dividing the diffusion rate by the concentration gradient. This can be represented by the equation D = J/∇C, where D is the diffusion coefficient, J is the diffusion rate, and ∇C is the concentration gradient.

3. Why is the diffusion coefficient sometimes equal to 1/2?

The diffusion coefficient is sometimes equal to 1/2 because it is a special case known as Fick's first law of diffusion. In this case, the diffusion rate is directly proportional to the concentration gradient, resulting in a diffusion coefficient of 1/2.

4. What does a diffusion coefficient of 1/2 mean?

A diffusion coefficient of 1/2 means that the rate of diffusion is directly proportional to the concentration gradient. This is a simplified case and does not apply to all situations, but it is commonly used in introductory discussions of diffusion.

5. Can the diffusion coefficient ever be greater than 1/2?

Yes, the diffusion coefficient can be greater than 1/2. In fact, the diffusion rate can vary greatly depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the properties of the medium. Fick's first law of diffusion with a diffusion coefficient of 1/2 is a simplified case that does not apply in all situations.