Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is entropy a state variable even for irreversible path?

1. Mar 17, 2017 #1

goodphy

Gold Member

Hello.

The entropy S is a state variable or state function as the integral of dS = dQ/T is a path-independent, provided that the path is reversible process path. However, such a path-independency of the integral breaks down when the path includes irreversible process. So, I guess we can only say that S is a state variable only if there is no irreversible process, but the textbook said S is the state variable no matter the process includes irreversible process or not.

Well..if there is at least one irreversible process path along which the path-independency doesn't hold, how can I justify that S is a state variable?

I would like to get your help to clarify this confusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2017 #2
    Suppose you had an irreversible process path that took your system from thermodynamic equilibrium state A to thermodynamic equilibrium state B. How would you determine the change in entropy for your system?

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted