Why is Hilbert not the last universalist?

• I
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hilbert
  • Featured
In summary: The multiplication law is replaced by a composition law. It is hard to believe, that P. did not know, that the composition of loops is associative and that there exists a neutral element. It was proved 1908 by Dehn, that the fundamental group is not commutative. P. was not interested in this question." (Dieudonné, p. 643)So, in summary, while Poincaré is often considered the last universalist mathematician, Hilbert's knowledge of math was also quite universal. However, Poincaré may have had a more comprehensive understanding due to his focus on intuition rather than strict logic. Additionally, it is possible that mathematics at the time was not developed enough for P
Auto-Didact said:
comes close to being a universalist as well.

Weyl was not only a mathematician, his interests ranged from physics to philosophy. Surely he has made many contributions in mathematical, especially in the field on quantization (''Weyl quantization'') and in group theory. Anyway I think it is far from becoming a Universalist (in mathematics) like his ''big'' predecessors ...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ssnow said:
Weyl was not only a mathematician, his interests ranged from physics to philosophy. Surely he has made many contributions in mathematical, especially in the field on quantization (''Weyl quantization'') and in group theory. Anyway I think it is far from becoming a Universalist (in mathematics) like his ''big'' predecessors ...

I am basing my stance of him coming close to universalism off of the biographical memoir of Weyl by Michael Atiyah.

Ssnow said:

What exactly does he miss? Which area has he not contributed to?

Likes Auto-Didact and Demystifier
martinbn said:

for example respect to Poincaré I don't know relevant works in analysis or complex analysis,differential equations, applied mathematics as celestial mechanics, elasticity, caos theory ...
In Poincaré I can see a greater variation of contributions on various branches of mathematics that I cannot see in Weyl ...

martinbn said:

for example respect to Poincaré I don't know relevant works in analysis or complex analysis,differential equations, applied mathematics as celestial mechanics, elasticity, caos theory ...
In Poincaré I can see a greater variation of contributions on various branches of mathematics that I cannot see in Weyl ...

sorry, I saw now that I posted two times the same answer and I cannot cancel one of them, somebody know how to cancel a post after long time ...

Last edited:
Ssnow said:

Now, to me at least, Weyl obviously is no Poincaré (imo Poincaré is the greatest of his era). This however does not detract from Weyl's massive contributions across numerous fields.

In mathematics, Weyl has done important work in singular differential equations, integral equations, number theory, convex bodies, the general theory of the representations and invariants of the classical Lie groups, the theory of self-adjoint operators, spectral theory, Riemann surfaces, analysis, algebra, topology, differential geometry and the foundations of mathematics, among many others.

In physics, he has done both ground-breaking and foundational work in spacetime theory, group theory in quantum mechanics, local spinor structures for curved spacetime, CPT symmetry and, perhaps most importantly, the invention of gauge theory.

Likes martinbn and Demystifier
In my previous post was not my intention to reduce the figure of Weyl that obviously remains one of the most influential in the world of mathematics, what I mean is that it is impossible to compare the two figures as Poincaré and Weyl for many reasons ... summarize it is the same to compare two stars that belong to different planetary systems ...
Ssnow