Why is inertia not stopping acceleration?

In summary, inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. It is measured by an object's mass and can make it harder to change an object's speed and direction. It is not a counterforce, but rather a measure of an object's resistance to change. There have been experiments about inertia, including those dating back to Galileo's time. The purpose of this forum is not to develop theories, but to discuss existing scientific concepts.
SpiderET
Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion, including changes to its speed and direction.
It is kind of counterforce which is resisting the change of speed.
But when there is this counterforce which is at the same level as force causing the acceleration, why is acceleration actually possible? Is this because there is some time lag between force causing acceleration and inertia counterforce? Have there been some experiments about this topic?
Or is there some other explanation? But what I know, cause of inertia itself have not been explained yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
This "counterforce" is not a force, which is exactly the misconception here.
You need force to get acceleration, done.

In an inertial frame there is no counterforce.

Inertia is not a kind of counterforce. It is a measure of how hard it is to change an object's speed and direction(thus its acceleration).
From Newton's second law F = ma, we can see that inertia is proportional to the object's mass. For example, it is harder to change a train's motion than to change a car's motion.

OK, we can agree, that you all are saying that inertia is not counterforce and I am saying that it is. You are simply stating the mainstream opinion a that's it for you, no need to think about it more deeply.

But I guess we can all agree, that you don't know what inertia is and what is causing it.
Im trying to develop some theory explaining it and I am searching for experiments which would help me to explain it.

I know, that for example, there were detailed experiments about Equivalence principle between gravity mass and inertial mass. But have there been some detailed experiments about mass and acceleration, maybe extremely detailed time line of acceleration?
So IF inertia would be some kind of counterforce, mathematically it would be still the same F=ma, but maybe there would be some implications, like there would be some time lag between force and counterforce. This could also mean that maybe there would be also some time lag between force and acceleration. Were there some experiments about this topic? Or is there maybe some acceleration-quantum behavior? Like steps in acceleration time line which would be caused by feedback loop force-acceleration-counterforce?

SpiderET said:
OK, we can agree, that you all are saying that inertia is not counterforce and I am saying that it is. You are simply stating the mainstream opinion a that's it for you, no need to think about it more deeply.
No, they are saying something that they understand and you don't because you are the one asking about a difficulty that arises from your understanding of it.

But I guess we can all agree, that you don't know what inertia is and what is causing it.
I'm sorry, did you actually intend to use the word "you" here?

Im trying to develop some theory explaining it and I am searching for experiments which would help me to explain it.

I know, that for example, there were detailed experiments about Equivalence principle between gravity mass and inertial mass. But have there been some detailed experiments about mass and acceleration, maybe extremely detailed time line of acceleration?
Actually, yes, starting with Gallileo, about 400 years ago.

So IF inertia would be some kind of counterforce, mathematically it would be still the same F=ma, but maybe there would be some implications, like there would be some time lag between force and counterforce. This could also mean that maybe there would be also some time lag between force and acceleration. Were there some experiments about this topic?
Yes, again about 400 years of such experiments.

[quote\ Or is there maybe some acceleration-quantum behavior? Like steps in acceleration time line which would be caused by feedback loop force-acceleration-counterforce?[/QUOTE]
Perhaps if you learned some basic physics first, you wouldn't have to ask such elementary questions. It also might be a good idea NOT to insult the people you are asking by making assertions about what they do or do not know.

SpiderET said:

I think it is pretty well known what inertia is.
eifphysics said:
Inertia is not a kind of counterforce. It is a measure of how hard it is to change an object's speed and direction(thus its acceleration).
This is basically the definition I was taught.

Your current attitude towards physics will do you no favors, Spider. I think everyone in this thread knows significantly more physics than you or me. Sometimes you just have to accept some things at face value even if it does not instantly make sense to you.

SpiderET said:
Im trying to develop some theory
That is not the purpose of this forum. Thread closed.

What is inertia and how does it relate to acceleration?

Inertia is an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly related to acceleration because the more inertia an object has, the more force is required to change its velocity.

Why does inertia not stop acceleration?

Inertia cannot stop acceleration because it is a property of an object that requires an external force to change its state of motion. Without an external force, the object will continue to move with a constant velocity.

Can inertia be used to stop an object's acceleration?

No, inertia cannot be used to stop an object's acceleration. Inertia is a property of an object, not a force, and it cannot act on its own to stop acceleration. An external force is required to change an object's acceleration.

How does mass affect an object's inertia and acceleration?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia and the more force is required to accelerate it. This is because a larger mass has a greater resistance to changes in its state of motion.

Is there a relationship between inertia and Newton's First Law of Motion?

Yes, Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This concept is directly related to inertia, as an object's inertia is what causes it to resist changes in its state of motion.