But I'm going to stick with my answer.Why does 0 factorial equal 1?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of zero factorial being equal to one and the reasoning behind it. The Gamma Function was mentioned as a reference for further understanding. It was also debated whether the factorial of negative numbers exists or not. The conversation ended with a clarification on the definition of factorial and the explanation that log(0) is undefined.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why is it that zero factorial is equal to 1?

This came up in class tonight (just sort of as a side-note) and nobody knew.

Thanks,

M.I.H.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's just a definition, to simplify certain mathematical procedures.

3!=6
2!=2
1!=1
let x=0!

note that 3!/2!=3
note that 2!/1!=2
then 1!/0!=1 to keep the same pattern.

therefore, 1!/x=1. if you solve for x, you get x=1.

therefore, 0!=1.

THe gamma function isn't analytic at 0, and by pheonixthoth's reasoning the factorial of all negative numbers is 1, and that doesn't hold. (It would in particular create issues with Pascal's triangle etc).

Think of it this way, if you have 0 objects, there is exactly 1 way to arrange them - the empty ordering.

Aha! I never said anything about it! Doesn't count in my mistakes today!

And wouldn't you have to evaluate the Gamma Function at 1 in order to find 0! ?

cookiemonster

"by pheonixthoth's reasoning the factorial of all negative numbers is 1, and that doesn't hold. "

I don't see that. pheonixthoth's "reasoning" is that 4!/3!= 4,
3!/2!= 3, 2!/1!= 2 (and in general (n+1)!/n!= n+1 for n any positive integer) so we should have 1!/0!= 1 and therefore 0!= 1!= 1. Extending that one more time, we would have 0!/(-1)!= 0 or 1= 0(-1)! which tells us that (-1)! does not exist.

Yes, sorry, another mistake. never do maths before breakfast.

If 0! =1 we can say
nCr = n!/((n-r)!*r!)

if 0! was something else we would have to say
nCr = n!/((n-r)!*r!)
except for nCn = nC0=1.

I know what I would rather say.

Also can't you use the rule that
[tex] n! = \Gamma(n+1) [/tex]

to get
[tex] 0! = \Gamma(1)=1 [/tex]

As far as I can tell [tex] \Gamma(x) [/tex] goes straight to hell
at x= 0 but [tex] \Gamma(1) =1 [/tex] since
[tex] \int_0^{\infty} e^{-t} dt = 1 [/tex]

Last edited:
yep it has a pole there with residue 1/0!, of all things. it has poles at all non-postive integers -k with residue (-1)^k/k! or something.

Thank you for the insight.
Cookie, I appreciate that link.

Awesome - thanks! I am sending this link to my math prof.

That link just reiterates what Phoenixthoth (and others) said (and what I misunderstood) and contains some frankly dubious claims: to say that because the gamma function has poles at negative integers, factorials do not exist for negative integers is slightly misleading. The square root is defined (naively) only for positive numbers, that doesn't stop us saying i = sqrt(-1). You'd need to show there was no analytic function that agreed with the gamma function on the integers, and always had poles at the negative integers. Remember this is just a generalization - another function wouldn't satisfy all of the functional equations the gamma function does. If you can 'define' "i!" why can't you 'define' "-1!"?

Last edited:
If we define n! as the product of all numbers from 1 to n, then n! is only defined for integral values of n such that n > 0. We observe that for all n > 0 we have:
(n+1)! = n! (n+1)

If we are to extend the defintion of factorial to include 0!, we would like the above to apply. Substituting we have:
1! = 0! (0+1) = 0!
This allows us to (re)define factorial thus:

0! = 1
n! = (n-1)! n for n>0

ooh! this was a topic in one of my math classes... i thought simply it was because of the formulas for log's... w/ 0, it would result in a divide by zero, thus they just threw an exception for log(0) to = 1..., anyone?

Actually log(0) is undefined, Hessam...

What is the concept of 0 = 1?

The concept of 0 = 1 is a mathematical equation that states that the number 0, which represents nothing or no quantity, is equal to the number 1, which represents a single unit or quantity. This concept goes against traditional mathematical principles and is often used to explain paradoxes and contradictions.

Why is 0 = 1 considered a paradox?

0 = 1 is considered a paradox because it goes against the fundamental principles of mathematics, specifically the concept of equality. In traditional mathematics, two values must be equivalent to be considered equal, but 0 and 1 are fundamentally different values.

Is 0 = 1 true or false?

0 = 1 is neither true nor false in the traditional sense. It is a paradoxical statement that challenges the concept of truth and falsity in mathematics. Some may argue that it is true in certain mathematical contexts, while others may argue that it is always false.

What is the practical application of 0 = 1?

0 = 1 has no practical application in traditional mathematics. However, it has been used in theoretical discussions to explore the limits of mathematical principles and to question our understanding of fundamental concepts such as equality and zero.

How can we reconcile the concept of 0 = 1 with traditional mathematics?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it is a topic of ongoing debate and discussion among mathematicians and philosophers. Some have proposed alternative systems of mathematics that can accommodate 0 = 1, while others argue that it is simply a paradox that cannot be reconciled with traditional principles.