Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it tiring to push hard against a solid wall even though no work is done?

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    I've seen this exact question in a book.
    (This is not homework)
    I've always thought this is because work has nothing to do with effort,
    but seeing this question on a book quite shocked me actually, is there any deeper explanation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    You are doing work. Your probability wondering how you can do work if your arm and the wall have no displacement. The answer is your muscles fibers are contracting and expanding. The work your doing is spread out throughout your muscle tissue. For example picture a bicycle that is stuck to a brick wall by metal pips welded to the frame. If you get on the bike and peddle you want go anywhere. The wheels will slide along the ground generating heat vie friction. The same thing happens in you muscle tissue. The arm can't move because it can't go though the wall so it does work by have muscle fibers slide around inside your arm, generating heat.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. Feb 27, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

output work/ input energy = efficiency

The human body is very inefficient.

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4
    O:
    is that really so?
    should i really except that every time i "get tired" there is work done somewhere?

but that gets really confusing..
    because i was just convinced in other topic i've opened that work is frame variant..

hence, there is probably a frame in which there is no work done, and thus, i should not get tired...
    not to mention a frame in which i'm doing a negetive work, and thus should get less tired(?)

Now honestly, am I really the only one who gets confused from the energy-work concept?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    It's tiring to hold a 10kg mass motionless at arm's length even though no "work" is done.
    Well, not quite...
    If you define work as force times distance moved in the direction of the force (mechanical work) then on the surface, none is done. But this completely misunderstands the way muscles work. In order to hold the mass steady, your muscles have to constantly do small amounts of work as the muscle cells fire and relax. When they fire, the mass is lifted a tiny amount, when they relax, the mass "falls back". It maintains its average position as a result of work being done by the muscles which is not recoverable when the mass falls back.
    It's the same thing happening, in principle, when you push against a wall.
    To understand the process fully, you need to look at how muscles work.
    There is no conflict with the concept of mechanical work if you look carefully at what is going on.

7. Feb 27, 2010 #6
    You ARE doing work, just not necessarily on the wall.

Imagine a helicopter hovering. It might not be doing any work on itself, since it's not moving, but it's definitely doing ALOT of work on the air.

You have to look at the big picture. Not just the wall, not just the helicopter, but also everything around it. Somewhere, some work is being done.

8. Feb 27, 2010 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You have to realize that examples in physics are unbelievably basic. Biological systems are very complex that even include chemical reactions. If you literally just sat on a chair an entire day, you still are burning calories because your body is always 'working'. Energy is always conserved, you just have to look at the complete (and in this case, very complicated) picture.

9. Feb 27, 2010 #8

russ_watters

Again, your body doesn't need to be doing any work to consume energy. You consume energy even when sleeping.

10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    Yes, we are. We are weaker than our cousins. What is this, survival of the weakest?

11. Feb 27, 2010 #10

Cleonis

Gold Member

As other replyers have pointed out: your muscle fibers are not like hydraulic pistons.

A hydraulic piston can be pretty much locked in a specific position, by closing the valve through which the hydraulic fluid enters the piston. More generally: any mechanical device can be locked off.

Muscles don't work like that.
    Interestingly, the muscles of clam shell organisms are more closely analogous to mechanical devices. Those muscles contract slowly; the layers slide along each other slowly. The layers bond, and this bond releases very slowly.

For animals scurrying around that type of muscle is very unpractical. Animals need muscles that not only contract fast, but equally important: they must also allow fast lengthening. Imagine how stiff you would be if each of your muscels would take minutes to lengthen again.

By necessity the attachments between the layers detach spontaneously, and easily. Conversely, in order to sustain a certain muscle contraction the layers must renew attachments all the time. This continuous breakup and renewal costs energy. That is why merely sustaining a certain muscle tension depletes oxygen and energy resources

12. Mar 1, 2010 #11
    can anybody help me understand this?

13. Mar 1, 2010 #12

russ_watters

I'm not sure: what part of "your body doesn't need to be doing any work to use energy" didn't you understand? You don't seem to be listening to what people are telling you.

14. Mar 1, 2010 #13

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Compared to what? It's my understanding that we utilize 80-90% of the calories we consume: that's significantly higher than any man-made engine.

Muscles range from 25-40% efficiency: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1300991/

F1F0 ATP synthase is close to 100% efficiency: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1692765/

Kinesin is also about 40% efficient. http://www.cellbio.duke.edu/kinesin/KinesinMotility.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Mar 1, 2010 #14

russ_watters

All you are saying there is that 10-20% of the chemical energy injected into a human isn't consumed/burned. Using a similar standard, a good car engine "utilizes" very close to 100% of the fuel injected into it. That doesn't have anything to do with the efficiency of either a car or the human body. It doesn't tell you how much is converted to useful work and how much - in both cases - is simply wasted while idling (for example).
    Not when they aren't moving, they don't. Consider what happens when you hover on a hill with a car, holding your position with the clutch and gas pedals. What's your fuel economy? Output work? Input energy?

The OP is clearly talking about the human body's ability to produce useable output work. Yes, of course the efficiency depends on what you are doing, but unlike many other devices (such as a car with a parking brake or a table holding up a book), the human body can't generate a static force without burning energy (other than directly down...). Output work = 0, input energy = 10 cal (per min) (perhaps). Efficiency: 0/10=0

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  16. Mar 1, 2010 #15
    Not to mention that two identical individuals could lift the same weight for the same period of time to the same hight, but the manner in which they did so would cause the METABOLIC activity to vary. There are layers of subtletly to ergonomic efficiency... hence the multi-billion USD/year industry.

@others: To discuss the metabolic activity of an animal in terms of raw newtonian physics is a bit like trying to communicate with a pitchfork. :yuck:

17. Mar 1, 2010 #16
    Yes and No. Anytime there is movement of any kind within your body work is being done. Heart pumping, blood moving, muscles contracting, cells contracting, etc. However Feeling tired is not always the result of physical exertion. For instance if your brain was depleted in some chemical, say you didn't get enough sleep. Then you would still feel tired even though you did no more work then usual

Work is not frame frame variant, if it were the conservation of energy would be violated. However I can think of a few instances (relativity) were it wouldn't be so clear. What form did you get this idea from.

I assume were speaking classically. If I drive past you at 60 m/s. And I see you lifting a break h meters off the ground. I will say you did mgh joules of work. You will too.

18. Mar 2, 2010 #17

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you say "no work is done" when you push hard on a wall, all it means is that no energy is being transferred to the wall. It's just matter of realizing that 'work' is a technical term in physics, which, in simple terms, means the amount of kinetic energy transferred to a body by a force

19. Mar 2, 2010 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I was about to make this comparison when I realized Russ already did.

A car hovering on a hill eats up a lot of energy, yet it does not move. By the Physics definition, it is doing no work. But no one doubts that it is consuming fuel.

Think of your muscles like the constantly revving engine with the clutch in - they are always running, whether or not that energy is going into any useful activity.

20. Mar 2, 2010 #19
    There is an even bigger give away... What happens when metabolic work is done? What ALWAYS happens? We give off... HEAT. We eat food, break it down into ADP and ATP eventually, then 'burn' it in a chemical process and we give off waste heat. Heat = thermodynamic radiation = proof that we take (more) ordered forms of energy and follow the laws of thermodynamics.

EDIT: Someone mentioned that (human) muscles don't "lock" which is true. Animals which sleep upright however, use a network of tendons and ligaments to "lock" their legs so as to spare their muscles during sleep. Why sleep upright?... well if lions want to eat you, struggling to your feet in a daze probably is a disadvantage. Anyway, as others have said, in the absence of special adaptations metabolic work ends (some short period of time after) when you die.

EDIT2: Davec: Not to mention that to keep that car on an upward grade you either need to engage the brake (generating friction and heat, proof of work), OR you need to have your foot on the gas. I wonder if the term "equilibrium" is just no longer taught to kids these days?

21. Mar 2, 2010 #20

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But 'work' in the context of mechanics cannot be applied to isometric contraction, much like it cannot be meaningfully applied to your example of holding a fixed position while the engine is running. And an internal combustion engine does not utilize anywhere near to 100% of the available energy: incomplete combustion.

The literature is confusing. The typical claim is that a 2000 kcal/day diet means we are essentially a 100 W light bulb, but that isn't really accurate. It's important to recall that the energy used by the body is not produced by combusting, but is stored via the Gibbs free energy.

I had a hard time finding out how much energy is required to maintain normal body temperature. For example, say I am in a room which is maintained at 98.6 degrees F. What is my basal metabolic rate then, as compared to sitting in a 78 degree room? I'm not sure the data is out there, but that's how to determine how much 'work' (in the Gibbs free energy sense) is required to maintain normal function.

Clearly, sitting in a chair means I am not in equilibrium. Just being alive means I am not in equilibrium- maintaining that disequilibrium requires work, but not mechanical work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook