Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is my TV better in the rain?

1. Aug 20, 2005 #1
    Why is my TV better in the rain??

Ok, there is a TV channel that usually has really crappy reception. But dad noticed that it picks up whenever it rains. I looked at him funny the first time, but on a dry day he went and sprayed it with the hose and presto, reception instantly improves.

Ideas anyone? I have nothing.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2
    What exactly did he spray?

4. Aug 20, 2005 #3
    Water comes out of the hose, I dont know what you call it. :)

5. Aug 20, 2005 #4
    :uhh:
    Ummm, no. Did he spray water in the air? On the TV itself? What are you talking about?

6. Aug 20, 2005 #5
    He sprayed water on the outdoor antenna. It might have something to do with a) the connector linking the antenna to the antenna wire, or b) to a retuning effect on the antenna itself.

7. Aug 21, 2005 #6
    Yeah sorry, didnt make that clear enough. No one sprayed anything on the tv itself.

8. Aug 21, 2005 #7
    Is it possible that the film of water on the outside of the antenna just increases the antenna's ability to resonate at that specific frequency?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  9. Aug 22, 2005 #8

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like the impedance characteristics of the TV antenna, did change with addition of moisture.
    This would certainly affect its resonance. I have noticed in operating transmit/receive antennae, they behave differently (greater change in SWR), on rainy days versus dry weather.
    For morry's TV antenna, it is a coincidence that the change of resonance shifted in the direction of the desired TV channel. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?