Why is my TV better in the rain?

• Thread starter morry
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why is my TV better in the rain??

Ok, there is a TV channel that usually has really crappy reception. But dad noticed that it picks up whenever it rains. I looked at him funny the first time, but on a dry day he went and sprayed it with the hose and presto, reception instantly improves.

Ideas anyone? I have nothing.

Answers and Replies

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What exactly did he spray?

Water comes out of the hose, I dont know what you call it. :)

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:uhh:
Ummm, no. Did he spray water in the air? On the TV itself? What are you talking about?

Averagesupernova said:
Did he spray water in the air?
He sprayed water on the outdoor antenna. It might have something to do with a) the connector linking the antenna to the antenna wire, or b) to a retuning effect on the antenna itself.

hitssquad said:
He sprayed water on the outdoor antenna. It might have something to do with a) the connector linking the antenna to the antenna wire, or b) to a retuning effect on the antenna itself.
Yeah sorry, didnt make that clear enough. No one sprayed anything on the tv itself.

Is it possible that the film of water on the outside of the antenna just increases the antenna's ability to resonate at that specific frequency?

Last edited:
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It sounds like the impedance characteristics of the TV antenna, did change with addition of moisture.
This would certainly affect its resonance. I have noticed in operating transmit/receive antennae, they behave differently (greater change in SWR), on rainy days versus dry weather.
For morry's TV antenna, it is a coincidence that the change of resonance shifted in the direction of the desired TV channel. :rolleyes:

Last edited: