Why is Nat(hom(A,-),F) a class?

• Thread starter rasmhop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Nat(hom(A,-),F) in the context of Yoneda's lemma, which is a bijection between Nat(hom(A,-),F) and FA. The conversation also explores different approaches to defining Nat(hom(A,-),F) and the existence of large sets and classes. One approach involves using foundations with large cardinals, while another involves using second-order ZFC or first-order NBG. The conversation concludes with the observation that there may be an easier way to define Nat(hom(A,-),F) without using logical predicates.
rasmhop
I'm trying to read a bit up on category theory, but I'm a bit confused about one aspect of the proof of Yoneda's lemma. Suppose we have a locally small category C, a functor [itex]F : C \to \textrm{Set}[/itex] and an object A in C. Now according to Yoneda's lemma there exists a bijection from [itex]Nat(hom(A,-),F)[/itex] to [itex]FA[/itex]. Assuming [itex]Nat(hom(A,-),F)[/itex] is a class I can easily construct an explicit bijection which shows that [itex]Nat(hom(A,-),F)[/itex] is actually a set. However all sources I have looked at take it for granted that [itex]Nat(hom(A,-),F)[/itex] is a class and simply starts by defining a function [itex]\Theta_{F,A} : Nat(hom(A,-),F) \to FA[/itex] and then shows that it's bijective. I'm not convinced that [itex]Nat(hom(A,-),F)[/itex] actually exists and isn't contradictory in some way though. I guess it's something obvious I'm missing as it's always left out, but I would appreciate it if someone would tell me what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrm. I think you have a legitimate question, there.

Well, the easiest answer is to use foundations that include large cardinals. Hom(A,-) and F are just large sets, and so Nat is a large set of large sets.

Second-order ZFC should do the trick too. Hom(A,-) and F are first-order classes, so Nat(Hom(A,-), F) would be a second-order class.

I think you could manage the same trick in first-order NBG, since Hom(A,-) and F are classes (in the sense of being objects), and Nat(Hom(A,-),F) would be a class (in the sense of being a logical predicate).

Thanks for the answer. That makes sense.

For a fixed object [itex]B[/itex] in category C both hom(A,B) and FB are sets so the class of functions from hom(A,B) to FB is a set. Hence if [itex]\eta[/itex] is a natural transformation from hom(A,-) to F, then [itex]\eta_B[/itex] is a set and thus [itex]\{\eta_B | B \in ob(C)\}[/itex] is a class in the sense of NBG. Hence we can define Nat(hom(A,-),F) in terms of a formula [itex]\varphi(x,p_1,\ldots,p_n)[/itex] where [itex]p_1,\ldots,p_n[/itex] are free variables and x is a class. This is sufficient to allow us to set up the bijection from Nat(hom(A,-),F) to FA in the usual sense and that shows that Nat(hom(A,-),F) is actually a set.

It just seems odd to me that such an argument is omitted, and I still wonder whether there is some easier way to do this that doesn't resort to using logical predicates.

1. What is "Nat(hom(A,-),F)" and why is it important in science?

"Nat(hom(A,-),F)" refers to the natural transformation between the hom functor from a category A and a target functor F. It is important in science because it allows us to understand and study the relationship between different objects and structures in a category, and how they can be transformed or mapped to each other.

2. How is "Nat(hom(A,-),F)" related to category theory?

"Nat(hom(A,-),F)" is a key concept in category theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the structure and properties of different categories (sets of objects and arrows), and their relationships. This natural transformation plays an important role in connecting different categories and understanding their internal structures.

3. What does it mean for "Nat(hom(A,-),F)" to be a class?

In mathematics, a class is a collection of objects that share a common property or structure. In the case of "Nat(hom(A,-),F)", it refers to the collection of all natural transformations between the hom functor from category A to a target functor F. This class allows us to study the behavior and properties of these transformations in a systematic way.

4. How does "Nat(hom(A,-),F)" help us understand the behavior of functors?

Functors are important mathematical tools that map objects and arrows from one category to another. By studying the natural transformations between the hom functor and a target functor, we can gain a deeper understanding of how functors behave and interact with each other. This can also lead to new insights and applications in various fields of science.

5. Can you provide an example of "Nat(hom(A,-),F)" in action?

One example of "Nat(hom(A,-),F)" in action is in the study of topological spaces. The hom functor from the category of topological spaces to the category of sets maps each topological space to its set of continuous functions. The natural transformations between this functor and another target functor, such as the identity functor, can help us better understand the properties and structures of topological spaces and their associated functions.