Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is SD+ so difficult?

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    Why is SD+ so difficult???

I understand SD, but SD+ is eluding me..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what's SD and SD+?

4. Nov 22, 2004 #3
    SD and SD+ stand for Sentential Derivation:
    http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/philosophy/research/ryckmant/logic/sententi.htm

• The sentential, or propositional, logic SL consists of a sentential language, SL, a semantic interpretation of that language, and a sentential derivation system, SD (and SD+).

One might use SL to examine the logical relations among molecular or (compound) sentences generated from atomic (or simple) sentences.

From SL's perspective, only molecular sentences have structure or form, and, therefore, SL is a logic that deals with relations obtaining among molecular sentences in virtue of their structure or form.

5. Nov 23, 2004 #4
    If what you're seeking to prove can be proven using SD+, then it can be proven using SD. Since SD+ basically gives rules that work as shortcuts, shouldn't it be easier for me to prove that a set of sentences is inconsistent using SD+ and SD than it currently is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?