Why Is the Antiderivative of 1/(1+x^2) Equal to arctan(x)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter luitzen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
luitzen
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Integration of 1/(1+x^2)


The antiderivative of 1/(1+x^2) is arctan(x), according to Maple, but why is that? I don't have a clue in which direction to go. Is there a way you can calculate it or is it something you should remember like the antiderivative of 1/x?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you know? The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x), the derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x) so, if you do not know that the derivative of tan(x) is [itex]sec^2(x)[/itex], you could derive it from the quotient rule.

That is if y= arctan(x), then x= tan(y) so [itex]dx/dy= sec^2(y)[/itex]. But then
[itex]dy/dx= 1/sec^2(y)= 1/sec^2(arctan(y))[/itex]
and you could use trig identities to change sec(arctan(y)) to tan(arctan(y))= y.

Or do this: if x= tan(y) then you can think of this as a right triangle with angle y, opposite side x and near side 1. Find the length of the hypotenuse using the Pythagorean theorem, then use "secant = hypotenuse over near side" to find sec(y).
 
Alternatively, this is a problem in "trigonometric substitution," which essentially plays on the Pythagorean theorem. We know that

[tex]\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1[/tex]

right? Also, if one divides by [itex]\sin^2(x) [/tex] or [itex]\cos^2(x) [/tex] we also get the identities<br /> <br /> [tex]1 + \cot^2(x) = \csc^2(x), \qquad \tan^2(x) + 1 = \sec^2(x)[/tex]<br /> <br /> The trick to trigonometric substitution is to realize that you can use these identities whenever your denominator is of the form<br /> <br /> [itex]1 - x^2, x^2-1, 1+ x^2[/itex]<br /> <br /> by letting x be some appropriate trig function. Give it a try and see what happens!<br /> <br /> Edit: Though technically, in the [itex]x^2 -1[/itex] case it would be more prudent to use hyperbolic trig, you can indeed still use normal trig sub.[/itex][/itex]
 
Thank you for your answer.

I do know the derivatives of sin(x) and cos(x) and I know that than tan(x)=cos(x)/sin(x), and I know how to find the derivative of that. I didn't know about sec(x), but according to Wikipedia it is 1/cos(x). Is that correct?

The problem, however, is to find the antiderivative of 1/(1+x^2), which happens to be arctan of x and your explanation seems to do the reverse.
 
The trick to trigonometric substitution is to realize that you can use these identities whenever your denominator is of the form

[itex]1 - x^2, x^2-1, 1+ x^2[/itex]
This is very useful, thank you.
 
luitzen said:
Thank you for your answer.

I do know the derivatives of sin(x) and cos(x) and I know that than tan(x)=cos(x)/sin(x), and I know how to find the derivative of that. I didn't know about sec(x), but according to Wikipedia it is 1/cos(x). Is that correct?
Yes. You should know the basic trig identities that express all six trig functions in terms of either sine or cosine.
luitzen said:
The problem, however, is to find the antiderivative of 1/(1+x^2), which happens to be arctan of x and your explanation seems to do the reverse.
If you are referring to HallsOfIvy's explanation, he is using the idea that antidifferentiation and differentiation are essentially inverse operations.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1 + x^2}dx = arctan(x) + C[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{d(arctan(x))}{dx} = \frac{1}{1 + x^2}[/tex]