Why is the derivative of a polar function dy/dx?

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion surrounding the derivative of a polar function and whether it should be represented as dy/dx or dr/dθ. It was concluded that, regardless of the representation of the function, the book was asking for the derivative dy/dx at a specific point. There was a suggestion to parametrize the function and find the derivative in terms of θ. It was also mentioned that part of learning calculus is understanding the geometric meaning of derivatives.
Amad27

Homework Statement

[itex]r = 2\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, please do not evaluate.

Why do textbook state that the derivative of the polar function (symbolic) is dy/dx and not [itex]dr/d\theta[/itex]? It is a function of theta, then why is the derivative dy/dx?

Idea: Even though the equation is polar, you are defining the function in the xy-plane, so therefore, the function really is parametric y = f(x), but the parameter is theta?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amad27 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]r = 2\cos(\theta)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, please do not evaluate.

Why do textbook state that the derivative of the polar function (symbolic) is dy/dx and not [itex]dr/d\theta[/itex]?
I don't believe that they do this. If you're given a polar equation such as the one above, you have r as a function of ##\theta##, so ##dr/d\theta## would be the derivative of this function. The textbook could ask that you calculate dy/dx by converting the equation into Cartesian form and then differentiating, but I don't believe that they would say that dy/dx is the derivative of the polar function.
Amad27 said:
It is a function of theta, then why is the derivative dy/dx?

Idea: Even though the equation is polar, you are defining the function in the xy-plane, so therefore, the function really is parametric y = f(x), but the parameter is theta?

Is that exactly what the book asked for, or did it say something like "what is the slope of the tangent to the locus of points defined by the function r = 2 cosΘ?"

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is that exactly what the book asked for, or did it say something like "what is the slope of the tangent to the locus of points defined by the function r = 2 cosΘ?"

Chet

@chet, sorry, I didnt see this. The book asked for "slope of the tangent line at Θ = pi/6" for example.

But the question is:

In polar derivatives, are you parametrizing an equation of xy in terms of theta?

Amad27 said:
@chet, sorry, I didnt see this. The book asked for "slope of the tangent line at Θ = pi/6" for example.

But the question is:

In polar derivatives, are you parametrizing an equation of xy in terms of theta?
They give you a function of r and theta, and they seem to want the slope on an x-y plot. I don't think the problem statement is very clear.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
They give you a function of r and theta, and they seem to want the slope on an x-y plot. I don't think the problem statement is very clear.

Thank you for replying @chet.

Yes, they give a polar function, in circular coordinates. Obviously, the derivative is not defined in the circular coordinates.

So I think what they are saying is that:

In an xy plane, you parametrize x, and y with respect to theta. Then dy/dx tells the slope at some point theta. It is really a parametric equation I suppose?

You can write x and y in terms of the polar coordinates, and also the differentials dx and dy. - how?
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac {\frac{\partial y} {\partial r} dr + \frac {\partial y} {\partial \theta } d \theta } {\frac {\partial x} {\partial r} dr + \frac {\partial x} {\partial \theta }d \theta }[/tex]

From the function, r= 2 cos(θ) and dr = -2sin(θ)dθ. Substitute into the expression for dy/dx.

ehild said:
You can write x and y in terms of the polar coordinates, and also the differentials dx and dy. - how?

Exactly, it is still dy/dx. It is describing a cartesian plane slope still, horizontally.

The derivative of a polar function r(θ) is dr/dθ. In this case, it is dr/dθ = -2sin(θ). If you plot r(θ) on the way that θ is on the horizontal axis and r is on the vertical axis, you get a simple cosine plot. But you can plot the r(θ) function on the (x,y) plane, in polar coordinates (r is the distance from origin and theta is the angle measured from the positive x axis).
See the figure. The plot of the given function looks similar. The red line is the tangent of the parametric curve (x(r,θ) , y(r,θ)) and dy/dx is the slope of that tangent line, you can find it by implicit derivation.

slopepolar.JPG

For this problem, it seems simpler the parametric way Amad27 suggested:
y = rsinθ=2sinθcosθ=sin(2θ)
x = rcosθ=2cos2θ=(1+cos(2θ))/2
Then get dy/dθ and dx/dθ in terms of θ, and divide to get dy/dx in terms of θ.

Chet

Amad27 said:
The book asked for "slope of the tangent line at Θ = pi/6" for example.
The slope of the tangent line in the context of this problem is dy/dx. It's not just any derivative; it's the specific derivative dy/dx. Regardless of the representation of the function, whether it's in cartesian or polar coordinates, the book is asking you to find dy/dx at the point in question.

vela said:
Regardless of the representation of the function, whether it's in cartesian or polar coordinates, the book is asking you to find dy/dx at the point in question.
It does not specifically say find "dy/dx" it says find the slope of the tangent line. Which could easily fool one person to be dr/dtheta

Part of learning calculus is understanding what the derivatives represent. You are supposed to recognize that "the slope of the tangent line" corresponds to the derivative dy/dx. No one's being fooled into calculating ##dr/d\theta##. If someone does that, it means they didn't read the problem carefully or they don't understand the geometric meaning of the various derivatives.

Amad27 said:
It does not specifically say find "dy/dx" it says find the slope of the tangent line. Which could easily fool one person to be dr/dtheta
I understand your confusion, and think they should have worded the problem better.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I understand your confusion, and think they should have worded the problem better.

Thank you @Chestermiller. I appreciate everyone's help here.

vela said:
Part of learning calculus is understanding what the derivatives represent. You are supposed to recognize that "the slope of the tangent line" corresponds to the derivative dy/dx. No one's being fooled into calculating dr/dr/d\theta. If someone does that, it means they didn't read the problem carefully or they don't understand the geometric meaning of the various derivatives.

@vela, this is a terrible point.

Consider the function.

$$h(a) = a^2 + 2a - 3$$

what is the slope of the tangent line at a=1 for example?

There is no dy/dx here, but rather dh/da. So your point that the derivative is dy/dx, is absolutely false.

That's a straw man. In the context of this problem about polar coordinates, there is no ambiguity the way the problem is stated in the book. It asked for the slope of the tangent line at a point; it didn't ask for, as you initially claimed, the derivative of a polar function. Sure, if you want to completely ignore the conventions relating polar and cartesian coordinates and take some contorted interpretation of "slope of the tangent line," you can argue that the problem is unclear, but I doubt your professor will have much sympathy when you're marked wrong on the exam for calculating ##dr/d\theta## instead of ##dy/dx##.

What is the whole original text of the problem? If it asks to find the derivative of the function r(θ) = 2 cos(θ), it is dr/dθ= -2sin(θ).
If the question is "What is the slope of the tangent line drawn to the polar curve r=2 cos(θ) (θ is measured from the positive horizontal axis) at θ=pi/6 " then it is dy/dx at θ=pi/6.
A curve is not the same as a function.

Thats incorrect. Sometimes the derivative dr/dtheta is calculated (specially in electromagnetics) so it really just depends on the question you have.

You might want to read the entire thread before making a pointless comment.

Guys. I think we're splitting hairs over this. This discussion is going nowhere. I'm going to close the thread.

Chet

1. Why is the derivative of a polar function dy/dx equal to (dy/dθ)/(dx/dθ)?

The derivative of a polar function is defined as the rate of change of the radius with respect to the angle. Since both the radius and angle are functions of θ, the derivative of a polar function can be expressed as the derivative of the radius with respect to θ divided by the derivative of the angle with respect to θ.

2. How is the derivative of a polar function related to the slope of the tangent line?

The derivative of a polar function represents the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the curve. This means that it indicates the rate of change of the radius with respect to the angle at that specific point.

3. What is the physical significance of the derivative of a polar function?

The derivative of a polar function has a physical significance as it represents the rate of change of a polar coordinate with respect to the angle. This can be interpreted as the speed and direction of the movement of a particle along the curve.

4. Can the derivative of a polar function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a polar function can be negative. This indicates that the radius is decreasing as the angle increases, or in other words, the particle is moving towards the origin as it moves along the curve.

5. How is the derivative of a polar function calculated?

The derivative of a polar function can be calculated using the formula (dy/dθ)/(dx/dθ), where dy/dθ and dx/dθ represent the derivatives of the radius and angle with respect to θ, respectively. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the standard rules of differentiation for polar functions.