Why is the electron EDM so small in the SM?

• I
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary: I don't think so.No, not really. I think that if you are interested in these kinds of things then you should read more about them and find papers that are more accessible.
Malamala
Hello! I read in several (more accessible) papers (e.g. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1049250X0860110X) that the EDM of the electron is so small, because one needs to go to 4 loops or higher to get a non-zero effect. It seems like at 1 and 2 loops there are some symmetry arguments as to why those terms cancel, but for 3 loops there were extensive calculations made and in the end it turned out that all the diagrams canceled and one gets zero contributions at 3 loops, too. I was wondering if there is any physical reason for all these 3 loops diagrams to perfectly cancel i.e. are there some symmetry arguments from which one could have at least got a hint that these diagram would cancel, without explicitly doing the math (usually there are some deeper meanings when some terms are perfectly equal)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in Dugan, Grinstein and Hall, Nucl. Phys. B 255, 413-438 (1985).

But why do you think that there is significance that the lowest non-zero order is 4 and not 3 or 5?

Vanadium 50 said:
It's in Dugan, Grinstein and Hall, Nucl. Phys. B 255, 413-438 (1985).

But why do you think that there is significance that the lowest non-zero order is 4 and not 3 or 5?
Well perfect cancelations in physics don't usually happen by chance. For example in the case of the magnetic moment, the g factor is not exactly 2. Or the whole hierarchy problem comes from the fact that we might have lots of cancelations (not perfect, tho) and that lead to the idea of supersymmetry. I was wondering if there are any theories/significance as to why we get perfect cancelations up to order 4. Is this something that happens often at higher order diagrams in general?

Not an expert to these calculations, but I will only say something that starts from the end to go to the start. If people needed to make excessive calculations to prove that the 3-loop diagrams exactly cancel out, there is not a straightforward symmetry argument to explain it.
Obviously since then some symmetry arguments might have been introduced?

Malamala said:
Well perfect cancelations in physics don't usually happen by chance.

But it's not a perfect cancellation.

ChrisVer said:
Not an expert to these calculations, but I will only say something that starts from the end to go to the start. If people needed to make excessive calculations to prove that the 3-loop diagrams exactly cancel out, there is not a straightforward symmetry argument to explain it.
Obviously since then some symmetry arguments might have been introduced?
I mean definitely it wasn't obvious beforehand. I was wondering if they found some explanations to it after they did the calculations.

Vanadium 50 said:
But it's not a perfect cancellation.
I meant to 2 and 3 order loop.

Yes, and that gets me back to my original question: why do you think that there is significance that the lowest non-zero order is 4 and not 3 or 5?

(And you didn't read the reference I posted, did you?)

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, and that gets me back to my original question: why do you think that there is significance that the lowest non-zero order is 4 and not 3 or 5?

(And you didn't read the reference I posted, did you?)
I don't think so. As I said in the original post: "I was wondering if there is any physical reason for all these 3 loops diagrams to perfectly cancel". I never claimed there is a significance. I just asked if there is one or not.

I haven't read your reference. I am an undergrad. The most advanced classes I took are probably quantum mechanics and particle physics (not QFT). Do you really think a paper about supergravity will enlighten me?

1. Why is the electron EDM important in the Standard Model (SM)?

The electron EDM (Electric Dipole Moment) is important in the SM because it provides insight into the fundamental properties of the electron, such as its charge distribution and interactions with other particles.

2. What is the current value of the electron EDM in the SM?

The current value of the electron EDM in the SM is estimated to be less than 10^-28 e-cm (electron-centimeters), which is incredibly small and difficult to measure experimentally.

3. What is the theoretical explanation for the smallness of the electron EDM in the SM?

The smallness of the electron EDM in the SM is due to the cancellation of various contributions from different particles and interactions in the theory. This cancellation is known as the "strong CP problem" and is still an area of active research in particle physics.

4. Can the electron EDM be non-zero in extensions of the SM?

Yes, in theories beyond the SM, such as Supersymmetry or Grand Unified Theories, the electron EDM can be non-zero. This makes the measurement of the electron EDM an important test for these theories.

5. What are the current efforts to measure the electron EDM?

There are several experimental efforts, such as the ACME (Advanced Cold Molecule Electron Electric Dipole Moment) experiment, that are trying to measure the electron EDM with higher precision. These experiments involve trapping and cooling molecules to extremely low temperatures and measuring their behavior in electric fields.