Why is the final potential of spring (Usf) equal to zero in problem b?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with b and the given equation. The person checked the solution but did not understand the logic behind it. They specifically question why the final potential of the spring (Usf) is equal to zero. After reading the problem in detail, it is explained that the potential energy stored in a spring depends on how far it is being compressed or stretched. Since the object in b is at the bottom of the incline and no longer in contact with the spring, it is not compressing it and therefore has no stored energy. The person thanks the expert for their summary and understanding after posting their question.
F1ght4h0n0uR
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
EcuvPaH.jpg

I'm having promblem with b. I checked the solution, but I did'nt understand the logic.

Kf+Ugf+Usf = Ki+Ugi+Usi

Usf= 0, Ki=0, Ugf= 0

I understand the logic's why they are equal to 0.

I don't understand why final potential of spring (Usf) is equal to zero?

------------------

Now, I got it. I read the problem in detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy that is stored in a spring depends on how far something is compressing or stretching the spring. So in b, when the object is at the bottom of the incline, it is no longer in contact with the spring, meaning it cannot be compressing the spring. since it is not compressing the spring that means there is no energy stored in it.

Likes F1ght4h0n0uR
Joseph Martinez said:
The potential energy that is stored in a spring depends on how far something is compressing or stretching the spring. So in b, when the object is at the bottom of the incline, it is no longer in contact with the spring, meaning it cannot be compressing the spring. since it is not compressing the spring that means there is no energy stored in it.

Thank you so much, I see it after posting thread.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics and it helps us understand how energy behaves in various systems. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations based on the amount of energy present in a system.

How can I conserve energy in my daily life?

There are many ways to conserve energy in your daily life, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, reducing water usage, and using public transportation or carpooling instead of driving alone.

What is the difference between renewable and non-renewable energy sources?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, are naturally replenished and will not run out. Non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, are finite and will eventually be depleted. Conserving energy can help reduce our reliance on non-renewable sources.

How does conservation of energy relate to the environment?

Conservation of energy is closely linked to environmental protection because using less energy means reducing the amount of pollution and greenhouse gas emissions released into the atmosphere. Conserving energy also helps to preserve natural resources and habitats that are affected by energy production and consumption.