Why is the limit of cot(x) approaching pi from the negative side -infinity?

In summary, the limit as x approaches π from the negative side of cot(x) is -∞ because when substituting π into cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x), we get -1/0. This is because when x is slightly less than π, sin(x) is positive, resulting in a negative infinity. This is different from previous problems where the sign of the limit was determined by multiplying the signs of the numerator and denominator, as shown in the previous example with (x+2)/(x+3).
shocklightnin

Homework Statement

lim x->pi- cot(x)

Homework Equations

cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

so substituting pi into:
cot(pi) = cos(pi)/sin(pi)
= -1/0
so you have a negative over 0, approaching from the -ve side of pi wouldn't it be +infinity? why is it -infinity?

additionally this confuses me because a previous question I was working went like:

1)lim x->-3+ (x+2)/(x+3) = - infinity
2)lim x->-3- (x+2)/(x+3) = + infinity
when substituting in 3, one would get a -ve int/0.
so i thought you found out whether it is +ve or -ve infinity by multiplying signs.
1) -3+ so take + times - (from -ve int) = -ve ...and you get -ve infinity
2) -3- so take - times - (from -ve int) = +ve ...and you get +ve infinity

but that was the way a friend showed me, its worked for all the questions up until the cotx one. any help in understanding is much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
shocklightnin said:

Homework Statement

lim x->pi- cot(x)

Homework Equations

cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

so substituting pi into:
cot(pi) = cos(pi)/sin(pi)
= -1/0
so you have a negative over 0, approaching from the -ve side of pi wouldn't it be +infinity? why is it -infinity?

additionally this confuses me because a previous question I was working went like:

1)lim x->-3+ (x+2)/(x+3) = - infinity
2)lim x->-3- (x+2)/(x+3) = + infinity
when substituting in 3, one would get a -ve int/0.
so i thought you found out whether it is +ve or -ve infinity by multiplying signs.
1) -3+ so take + times - (from -ve int) = -ve ...and you get -ve infinity
2) -3- so take - times - (from -ve int) = +ve ...and you get +ve infinity

but that was the way a friend showed me, its worked for all the questions up until the cotx one. any help in understanding is much appreciated, thanks.
What is the sign of sin(x) when x is a little less than π ?

positive..?

Right, so it should be [tex]\frac{-1}{0^+}[/tex] because we're looking at [itex]\sin(\pi ^-)[/itex]

ooh right right! so that's why its -ve infinity. ah thanks, got it now :P

Related to Why is the limit of cot(x) approaching pi from the negative side -infinity?

1. What is an infinite limit with cot?

An infinite limit with cot refers to the behavior of the cotangent function as the input approaches a certain value, typically infinity. It indicates the behavior of the function as it approaches a vertical asymptote.

2. How do you find the limit of a cotangent function?

To find the limit of a cotangent function, you can use the basic properties of limits, such as the limit laws and trigonometric identities. You can also use L'Hopital's rule or graph the function to visualize its behavior.

3. What is the relationship between cot and infinity?

Cotangent is a periodic function with an infinite number of vertical asymptotes. As the input approaches these asymptotes, the output of the cotangent function approaches infinity.

4. Can an infinite limit with cot have a finite limit?

No, an infinite limit with cot cannot have a finite limit. This is because the cotangent function is unbounded and will continue to increase or decrease without bound as the input approaches the asymptote.

5. How can infinite limits with cot be used in real-life scenarios?

Infinite limits with cot can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze real-life situations. For example, in physics, they can be used to determine the maximum height an object can reach when thrown at a certain angle.