Why is the Separation of Variables method valid?

In summary, the Separation of Variables method is valid when solving some Partial Differential Equations (PDEs). This is because if the differential operator associated with the PDE can be separated into parts that act on different sets of variables, then the method will work. However, not all PDEs can be separated in this way, and the method may not always produce all possible solutions. There are rigorous treatments of this method, including group-theoretic approaches, but in practice, it is often justified through intuitive symmetry arguments. Further reading and references on this topic are available.
Zag
Why is the "Separation of Variables" method valid?

Hey guys,

Lately I have been focusing on some question that have annoyed me for some time. One of these questions is: Why is the method of separation of variables valid when solving some PDE?

Usually smmetry arguments are presented, and in some physical systems you can guess that it will be the case so that the separation of variables will work. However, is there a rigorous treatment of this method? Could anyone suggest me a reading on this topic or share what kind of analysis is necessary to treat this question?

Thank you very much! ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't work most of the time. But if it finds a solution, then it finds a solution. Any method that finds a solution is 'valid' in that sense.

Take a simple example, the PDE

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} = 0[/tex]
Then just postulate ##f(x,y) = X(x) Y(y)##. Not ALL solutions have this form (in fact, most do not), but we're only interested if some solutions have this form. Plugging this in, you get

[tex]Y(y) \frac{d^2 X}{dx^2} + X(x) \frac{d^2 Y}{dy^2} = 0[/tex]
which can be rearranged to give

[tex]\frac{1}{X(x)} \frac{d^2 X}{dx^2} = - \frac{1}{Y(y)} \frac{d^2 Y}{dy^2}[/tex]
but now, everything on the left-hand side is a function of ##x## only, and everything on the right-hand side is a function of ##y## only. I.e., we have

[tex]g(x) = h(y)[/tex]
But the catch is that the equation must hold for ALL ##x## and ##y##. So, in fact, the functions ##g(x)## and ##h(y)## must be constants! So we now we can break this up into two equations,

[tex]\frac{1}{X(x)} \frac{d^2 X}{dx^2} = m^2, \qquad \frac{1}{Y(y)} \frac{d^2 Y}{dy^2} = - m^2[/tex]
for some constant ##m^2##, which we call the "separation constant".

The key point here is that if we guess a solution of the form ##f(x,y) = X(x) Y(y)##, we are able to rearrange the equation so that all functions of ##x## are on one side, and all functions of ##y## are on the other side. If it is possible to do this, the PDE is called "separable".

Not all PDEs are separable! But if a PDE is separable, then separation of variables will produce a solution. In fact, it will produce a whole family of solutions, labelled by the separation constants.

Once you have a family of solutions of the form ##f_m(x,y)=X_m(x) Y_m(y)## with separation constant m, you can then use linearity to consider series solutions of the form

[tex]f(x,y) = \sum_m a_m X_m(x) Y_m(y)[/tex]
for some constants ##a_m##. The next question you should be concerned about is whether you can get ALL solutions this way. This depends on whether the family ##f_m(x,y)=X_m(x) Y_m(y)## of separable solutions is "complete" or not. It requires a bit more work to show whether this is true, but there are theorems that tell you when it is true for certain kinds of equations.

Zag said:
Why is the method of separation of variables valid when solving some PDE? Usually smmetry arguments are presented, and in some physical systems you can guess that it will be the case so that the separation of variables will work. However, is there a rigorous treatment of this method?

There are rigorous group-theoretic treatments, but I'm afraid I will confuse everyone (and/or myself) if I attempt to explain them in detail. Roughly speaking: look for coordinate transformations which don't change the form of the equation. Those transformations are symmetries of the PDE, and the set of all of them forms a group. Solutions should be invariant with respect to that group.

In practice, I think most of us use something more like Ben Niehoff's pragmatic explanation or the intuitive symmetry argument you mentioned.

Thank you very much, guys! All the replies helped me a lot, and I think now I understand the context of separation of variables much better.

Thank you also for the references and links, I am definitely going to read them! ;)

Zag,
it's very simple: if the differential operator associated to the PDE is the sum of operators that act on different set of variables, then the method works. Ben's example is one of those cases. In some cases, you may find a coordinate transformation that "separates" the operator into parts that operates on different variables. Then, you apply the method to the PDE expressed in the new coordinates.

1. Why is the Separation of Variables method used in solving partial differential equations?

The Separation of Variables method is used because it is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to break down a complex partial differential equation into simpler ordinary differential equations. This makes it easier to solve the equation and obtain a general solution.

2. How does the Separation of Variables method work?

The method involves separating the variables in the equation, typically into spatial and temporal variables. This allows us to express the partial differential equation as a product of two simpler equations, each involving only one variable. These simpler equations can then be solved separately and combined to obtain a general solution.

3. Is the Separation of Variables method always applicable?

No, the method is not always applicable. It can only be used for linear partial differential equations with separable variables. Nonlinear equations or equations with non-separable variables cannot be solved using this method.

4. What are the advantages of using the Separation of Variables method?

One of the main advantages of this method is that it can simplify complex partial differential equations, making them easier to solve. It also allows us to obtain a general solution, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different boundary conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Separation of Variables method?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It can only be used for certain types of equations, as mentioned before. Additionally, the method may not always produce a unique solution, and in some cases, the general solution may be difficult to obtain. It also does not work for equations with non-constant coefficients.