Why is there a 3° variation in angles when calculating the Ackerman percentage?

• Thread starter Reddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the speaker has calculated the inner and outer wheel lock angles and tried to calculate how much the outer wheel will rotate for a given rotation of the inner wheel. However, there is a discrepancy between the calculated and actual outer wheel angle, and the speaker wonders why this happens. They mention reducing tie rod lengths as a solution but are concerned about satisfying geometry. The listener responds that reducing tie rod lengths is not the solution and that achieving true Ackerman geometry is complicated due to the placement of steering knuckle arms. The speaker then confirms that they have achieved 71% Ackerman geometry and did not intentionally design for less than true Ackerman.
Reddy
Hiii...
I hav caluclated my inner wheel lock angle(38.25°) and outter wheel lock angle(26.16) from formulae ...and I tried to caluclate for X degree rotation of my inner wheel how much my outter wheel rotates...ex:- at 20° rotation of inner wheel...17.7° of outter wheel ...nd at 38.25 I got outter wheel angle as 29.35° ...but actually that should be 26.16°, ryt?
Why this happens ??
And i reduced my tie rods length by 0.1inch on each in my calculations...I got the required outter wheel angle 26.16°..
But I can't reduce my tie rods lengths according to geometry...
If reducing tie rods length is d solution, thn how to satisfy geometry too??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Reddy said:
If reducing tie rods length is d solution, thn how to satisfy geometry too??
Because, reducing tie rod lengths is not the solution. Ackerman geometry is mainly a function of the steering knuckle arm placement, i.e., tie rod end joint placement relative to the steering axis of rotation for the wheel. Since these axes are not vertical, the geometry gets complicated. If you're getting only 3o deviation from true Ackerman geometry at full lock, you're doing well.

Tq ..
3° varaiation in angles giving me 71% Ackerman .i.e..,less than true Ackerman..I didn't fix it for less than true Ackerman ...it came automatically... I don't know what makes in design

Related to Why is there a 3° variation in angles when calculating the Ackerman percentage?

What is the Ackerman angle?

The Ackerman angle is the angle between the centerline of the vehicle and the line connecting the center of the inner and outer turning points of the front tires.

Why is the Ackerman angle important?

The Ackerman angle allows for the inner and outer tires of a vehicle to turn at different angles while still maintaining a consistent turning radius. This is important for stability and steering control.

How is the percentage of Ackerman angle calculated?

The percentage of Ackerman angle is calculated by dividing the distance between the turning points of the front tires by the wheelbase (distance between the front and rear axles) and multiplying by 100. This gives a percentage that represents the difference in angle between the inner and outer tires.

What is the optimal percentage of Ackerman angle?

The optimal percentage of Ackerman angle varies depending on the type of vehicle and its intended use. Generally, a higher percentage (closer to 100%) is preferred for high-speed racing and a lower percentage (closer to 0%) is preferred for slow-speed maneuvering.

How does the percentage of Ackerman angle affect tire wear?

The percentage of Ackerman angle can affect tire wear by causing uneven wear on the inner and outer edges of the tires. A higher percentage can cause more wear on the inner edges, while a lower percentage can cause more wear on the outer edges. This is why it is important to choose the optimal percentage for the specific vehicle and use case.