How Is the Moment of Inertia Calculated for a Wheel Composed of Welded Rods?

In summary, the conversation discusses the moment of inertia of a "wheel" made up of twelve uniform, thin rods welded together. It is mentioned that the welds do not contribute any mass to the wheel. The conversation then delves into how to calculate the moment of inertia for rotation around an axis through the center and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel. The parallel axis theorem is brought up as a possible method for finding the moment of inertia for one of the perimeter rods. The conversation concludes with the successful calculation of the moment of inertia for the entire wheel.
leeone
Twelve uniform, thin rods of mass and length are welded
together to form a “wheel” as shown in the figure. What is the
moment of inertia of this wheel for rotation around an axis through
its center and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel? The welds
contribute no mass to the wheel.

I understand the contributions from the spoke...but how would I get the contribution from the six rods around the circumference?

I think it can be done by noting I=1/3ML^2 for a rod with the pivot center at the end and I=1/12ML^2 when the pivot center at the middle.

If i try and integrate the from the center along the circumference I have

I=∫M/L (x^2)dx

but how would I get my limits of integration? I would have to integrate through an angle zero to a fixed distance from the center? SO ((3)^1/2)/2Lcos(Θ)dΘ integrate from 0 to (360)/6=60 degrees, correct?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 702
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the parallel axis theorem? If so, can you use it to get I for one of the perimeter rods?

That's what my first attempt was...but where would a convenient point be to compute the moment of inertia? If I move along one of the spokes to the outside I feel like I am in the same situation as I was before.

leeone said:
That's what my first attempt was...but where would a convenient point be to compute the moment of inertia?

The parallel axis theorem states ##I = I_{cm} + Md^2##. What does ##d## represent here?

Can you find ##d## for one of the perimeter rods?

would d be (L)root(3)/2...(the vertical distance from the center?)

leeone said:
would d be (L)root(3)/2...(the vertical distance from the center?)

Yes!

I figured it out! I =(1/12l^2 +3/4L^2 )6 + (1/3Ml^2(6)=7mL^2

Thanks!

Related to How Is the Moment of Inertia Calculated for a Wheel Composed of Welded Rods?

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around an axis. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion instead.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a wheel can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the wheel by the square of its radius. It can also be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is moment of inertia, m is mass, and r is radius.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a wheel?

The moment of inertia of a wheel is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The larger the mass and the farther it is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it determines how easily an object can change its rotational motion. Objects with larger moments of inertia will be more resistant to changes in rotational motion, while objects with smaller moments of inertia will be easier to accelerate.

How is moment of inertia used in real life?

Moment of inertia is used in many applications, such as designing vehicles, machines, and sports equipment. It is also important in understanding the stability and balance of objects, such as in gymnastics or figure skating.