Why is there current induced on Faraday's disk?

In summary, Faraday's law does not hold true when a current is induced because the magnetic field is not constant. The change in flux is due to the radial Lorentz force.
raopeng
Because according to Faraday's law there should be a change in the flux to generate electric potential for a current to take place. But in that case no flux change happens. This can be reasonably explained by Lorentz force(charge separation due to radial Lorentz force) but can we still apply Faraday's law here? I feel it is because that since we must observe the current in a frame inert to the disk, so the magnetic field, under Lorentz transformation, is not constant anymore, hence the change in flux in that frame of reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Munley explained this. A search might turn up his paper. The electrons move radially due to Lorentz force. As the disk rotates, the circuit path traced is a pie sector shape. One terminal of the ammeter is on the center spindle, with the other terminal a peripheral contact, i.e. a brush type connection. As the electrons move they sweep out an area increasing with angle theta, which equals omega*t, where omega is angular speed.

The area of the filamentary circuit, times the constant flux density B, equals the flux phi. Although B is static, phi is time changing in proportion to time to the 1st power. Since emf = -d(phi)/dt, the emf is the 1st derivative of flux wrt time. But time is raised to the 1st power, so emf is a constant, nonvarying w/ time. Observation affirms this, that the induced emf/current is indeed dc.

Flux phi equals flux density B times area. If B varies we have induction. If B is static but area A varies, we have induction. A variation of phi wrt time is needed for induction to happen. The phi variation is usually due to B variation, i.e. area A is usually fixed in xfmrs, generators, motors, solenoids, etc. But a Faraday disk is a case where the reverse happens, fixed B, varying A. Since phi is the product of the 2, phi varies in time, hence induction occurs.

Did I help? I will clarify if needed.

Claude

Thank you so much. And that Dr. Munley's paper helps a lot too.

1. What is Faraday's disk?

Faraday's disk is a conducting disk that is rotated in a magnetic field, causing a current to be induced in the disk. It was first discovered by Michael Faraday in 1831.

2. How does Faraday's disk work?

Faraday's disk works through the principle of electromagnetic induction. When the disk is rotated, the changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the disk due to the movement of the conductive material.

3. Why is there current induced on Faraday's disk?

There is current induced on Faraday's disk because of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor. In this case, the rotating disk experiences a changing magnetic field, resulting in the induction of a current.

4. What are the applications of Faraday's disk?

Faraday's disk has several applications, including electric generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in devices such as tachometers and electric meters to measure rotational speed and current, respectively.

5. How does Faraday's disk contribute to our understanding of electromagnetism?

Faraday's disk is a crucial experiment that led to the discovery of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It provided evidence for the existence of electromagnetic induction, which is a fundamental principle in modern physics. It also paved the way for further research and advancements in the field of electromagnetism.