Is Friction Caused by Electron Repulsion in Collisions?

• Thread starter AzonicZeniths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, Friction forces occur at a larger scale due to electromagnetic forces between objects, which are not perfectly perpendicular to the direction of motion. This lack of perpendicularity results in heat being produced as the interactions are not perfectly elastic. A perfectly elastic collision is one in which kinetic energy is conserved.
AzonicZeniths
I was just wondering, because on an atomic scale, nothing ever touches due to electron repulsion, why is there friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction forces occur at larger scale, not that tiny.

Even when not touching, there are still forces (electromagnetic) between objects. It isn't like every surface is a mag-lev train - surface defects mean the forces aren't perpendicular to the direction of motion.

Ok I now understand that this the forces aren't perpendicular, but why would this produce heat? Where is the energy being released?

The heat is due to the fact that the interactions are not perfectly elastic.

russ_watters said:
perfectly elastic.

Sorry I'm being stupid right now but, what do you mean by that?

AzonicZeniths said:
Sorry I'm being stupid right now but, what do you mean by that?

a perfectly elastic collision is one in which kinetic energy is conserved.

FAQ: Is Friction Caused by Electron Repulsion in Collisions?

1. Why do objects experience friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects. When two objects come into contact, these irregularities interlock, creating resistance and causing the objects to experience friction.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by the type of material, the weight of the objects, and the roughness of their surfaces. The force pushing the objects together also plays a role in determining the amount of friction.

3. How does friction impact motion?

Friction acts as a force that opposes motion, making it more difficult for objects to move. This is why it is harder to push or pull heavy objects than lighter ones, as the frictional force is greater.

4. Can friction be both beneficial and detrimental?

Yes, friction can be both beneficial and detrimental. On one hand, it allows us to walk, drive, and grip objects. On the other hand, it can cause wear and tear on objects and machinery, leading to inefficiency and damage.

5. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oil or grease, which create a slippery layer between two objects and reduce the resistance between them. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction, as there are fewer irregularities for the objects to interlock with.