Why is there gravity at a distance?

• Thread starter Khashishi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the Einstein field equations explain that the local curvature of space is caused by the local stress-energy. This also applies to the vacuum surrounding a mass, where the Ricci curvature tensor is zero but the Riemann curvature tensor may still be non-zero. This can be compared to the existence of electromagnetic fields even in the absence of charges and currents, due to boundary conditions. The Weyl curvature, which is not included in the field equations, may also play a role in this phenomenon.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
I'm trying to understand the Einstein field equations. My rough understanding is that the local curvature is due to the local stress-energy. Ok, a mass curves space...I get it. But, isn't space curved in the vacuum surrounding a mass? I mean, light is bent by a star even at some distance away from the star. Isn't the stress-energy zero outside the star?

Does this have something to do with the Weyl curvature which isn't included in the field equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that there are a few different curvature tensors. The Ricci curvature tensor will be 0 in the vacuum surrounding a mass (per the EFE), but the Riemann curvature tensor may in general be non-zero.

I think there's a very nice analogy to E&M here. Even far away from the sources of the fields (the charges and currents), the fields themselves can exist. For example, in a static situation outside a charge distribution:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = 0[/tex]

But it doesn't mean there is no electric field there. One has to consider boundary conditions. Similarly, Einstein's equations are second order differential equations, so even without a local source, boundary conditions can induce curvature.

FAQ: Why is there gravity at a distance?

1. Why do objects attract each other?

Objects attract each other due to the force of gravity. This force is caused by the mass and distance between two objects. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

2. How does gravity work at a distance?

Gravity is a force that acts between objects at a distance. This force is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. Why is there a gravitational force between all objects in the universe?

The force of gravity exists between all objects in the universe because all objects have mass. Mass is a fundamental property of matter and is responsible for creating the force of gravity.

4. What is the relationship between gravity and mass?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

5. Why is gravity considered a weak force?

Gravity is considered a weak force because it is much weaker compared to other fundamental forces in the universe, such as electromagnetism and nuclear forces. Its strength depends on the mass and distance between objects, making it relatively weaker in comparison to these other forces.