Does Gravity Gravitate? Exploring Mass Measurement

• I
  • Thread starter AdirianSoan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: Does M0 diverge from M with the total number of atoms, such that adding atoms/mass, holding everything else equal, will make M increasingly inaccurate, for estimating the number of atoms, as compared to M0?No, I don't think so.
AdirianSoan
TL;DR Summary
Trying to ensure my understanding about what Komar Mass refers to is reasonable; namely, that curvature curves curvature, and Komar Mass excludes this effect.
Suppose you have a particle, and you measure the gravitational force one meter away in flat spacetime. Add a second identical particle a negligible distance from the first, and measure the force at the same point one meter in flat spacetime away.

I expect the force to be very slightly less than twice the originally measured force. My internal explanation is that the distance from each particle to the measured point (and every intermediate point) is increased by the curvature of space-time created by the other particle, and it is this curved space that curvature is curving, rather than the imaginary flat space we are using as our basis of measurement.

Thus, Komar Mass is a somewhat more accurate way of measuring mass (if we are concerned with counting the number of atoms).

Is this a reasonable way to think about the situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdirianSoan said:
Suppose you have a particle, and you measure the gravitational force one meter away in flat spacetime.

You can't; "gravitational force" and "flat spacetime" are inconsistent. If "gravitational force" is present, then spacetime is curved.

You need to rethink your question in the light of the above; as it stands it's unanswerable because the scenario you describe is inconsistent.

My question pertains to the sequence; the flat space referenced there is strictly imaginary.

My current understanding is that "curvature curves curvature, but we already include this effect in how we measure mass". And the way this reduces gravitational mass is by increasing the distance from the mass, to the area under consideration.

Does that make sense? And secondarily, is that a reasonable way to describe what the articles are conveying?

AdirianSoan said:
the flat space referenced there is strictly imaginary

That doesn't help. Your question is still not well-defined. You can't specify distances in an imaginary space.

AdirianSoan said:
My current understanding is that "curvature curves curvature, but we already include this effect in how we measure mass".

This is too vague to know whether it is true or not.

AdirianSoan said:
the way this reduces gravitational mass is by increasing the distance from the mass, to the area under consideration.

Increasing the distance compared to what? If your answer is "compared to an imaginary flat space", see above.

AdirianSoan said:
is that a reasonable way to describe what the articles are conveying?

I can't tell because you haven't yet given a well-defined question that can be answered.

AdirianSoan said:
Komar Mass is a somewhat more accurate way of measuring mass (if we are concerned with counting the number of atoms).

Are you saying that Komar mass is equivalent to counting the number of atoms? If so, you are mistaken. It's not.

PeterDonis said:
Are you saying that Komar mass is equivalent to counting the number of atoms? If so, you are mistaken. It's not.

Not quite, but I think this is a more useful line of reasoning.

If you were interested in the number of atoms, would Komar mass give you a more accurate estimate than gravitational mass?

AdirianSoan said:
If you were interested in the number of atoms, would Komar mass give you a more accurate estimate than gravitational mass?

What "gravitational mass" are you referring to?

M, versus the M0 representing Komar mass, in the second in the article series. Mass as measured using orbital speeds and orbital distance from satellites. I don't know what else to call it to differentiate between the two.

(Follow up question, if it does give more accurate estimates; does M0 diverge from M with the total number of atoms, such that adding atoms/mass, holding everything else equal, will make M increasingly inaccurate, for estimating the number of atoms, as compared to M0?)

ETA:
Distance as measured by a sufficiently distant outside observer.

AdirianSoan said:
M, versus the M0 representing Komar mass, in the second in the article series.

You apparently missed the point that ##M_0## is not an actually observed mass at all. Only ##M## is. For the idealized case I was discussing (a spherically symmetric gravitating body surrounded by vacuum), the Komar mass is ##M##, and it is the same as the externally measured mass (from orbital speeds and distances of satellites).

Ah, so I did. I read the first equation and didn't pay attention to the fact that the second equation had a different symbol.

Alright, that clears that up. Thank you!

Likes berkeman

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass or energy.

2. Does gravity affect all objects in the same way?

Yes, gravity affects all objects in the same way regardless of their mass or composition. However, the strength of the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that larger objects with more mass will have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects.

3. How is mass measured and how does it relate to gravity?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is typically measured in kilograms (kg). The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull. This is because mass is directly proportional to the strength of the gravitational force between two objects, as described by Newton's law of universal gravitation.

4. Does gravity gravitate?

According to the theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass or energy. This means that gravity does not gravitate in the traditional sense, but rather the presence of mass causes the curvature of space-time, which in turn affects the motion of other objects with mass.

5. How does the measurement of mass affect our understanding of gravity?

The measurement of mass is crucial in our understanding of gravity as it directly affects the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. By accurately measuring the mass of celestial bodies, scientists can better understand their gravitational interactions and make predictions about their movements in space. Additionally, advancements in mass measurement technology have allowed for more precise calculations and a deeper understanding of the nature of gravity.