Why is this method not valid-moments?

• Thread starter gamesguru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, this method is not valid for finding the moment of inertia for a solid sphere because r is not the same as the integration variable.
gamesguru
[SOLVED] Why is this method not valid-moments?

I'm trying to find the moment of inertia for a solid sphere, I've seen and understand the correct method, but I can't see anything wrong with this method, except the answer.
[tex]I=\int r^2 dm[/tex]
[tex]m=\delta V=\frac{4}{3}\delta\pi r^3[/tex]
[tex]dm=4\delta\pi r^2 dr[/tex]
Thus,
[tex]I=4\delta\pi\int r^4dr[/tex]
Which after some work, turns out to be, incorrectly,
[tex]I=\frac{3}{5}r^2m[/tex].
The correct answer is,
[tex]I=\frac{2}{5}r^2m[/tex].
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
gamesguru said:
I'm trying to find the moment of inertia for a solid sphere, I've seen and understand the correct method, but I can't see anything wrong with this method, except the answer.
[tex]I=\int r^2 dm[/tex]
Thus,
[tex]I=4\delta\pi\int r^4dr[/tex]
Which after some work, turns out to be, incorrectly,
[tex]I=\frac{3}{5}r^2m[/tex].
The correct answer is,
[tex]I=\frac{2}{5}r^2m[/tex].
Thanks in advance.

How'd you arrive at this?

rock.freak667 said:

How'd you arrive at this?
I did this by: [itex]\delta[/itex] is the density. Mass=density x volume, [itex]m=\delta V[/itex]. The volume of a sphere is: [itex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex].
So,
[tex]m=\frac{4}{3}\delta \pi r^3[/tex].
Take the derivative:
[tex]\frac{dm}{dr}=4\delta\pi r^2[/tex],
rearrange:
[tex]dm=4\delta\pi r^2 dr[/tex].

It could be smart to denote the radius of the sphere with R, and use r for the integration variable. Using the same symbol causes confusion.

The true mistake however is that the r in the original formula is not the same r as the integration variable. The r in the original formula is the component of the [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] vector on the normal plane of the rotation axis.

Would these look good? I cannot guarantee they are right :wink:

[tex]
I = \int (r\sin(\theta))^2 dm
[/tex]

[tex]
dm = 2\pi\delta r^2\sin(\theta) d\theta\; dr
[/tex]

[tex]
0<r<R,\quad 0<\theta<\pi
[/tex]

gamesguru said:
Here is what is wrong:
[tex]I=\int r^2 dm[/tex]
That [itex]r[/itex] is the distance of some differential quantity of mass [itex]dm[/itex] from the axis of rotation ...
... while that [itex]r[/itex] is the distance of some differential quantity of mass [itex]dm[/itex] from the center of the sphere.

gamesguru said:

Hi gamesguru! :smile:

You're integrating over spherical shells of constant radius.

But Moment of Inertia is about an axis, never about a point.

So you need to integrate over cylindrical shells of constant radius. :smile:

Thanks D H, I see the problem now. And I see why using this method with a cylinder, by chance, works.

What is the purpose of using moments in scientific research?

Moments are mathematical tools used in scientific research to measure and describe the distribution of data. They help to summarize and analyze data, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions.

Why would a method using moments not be considered valid?

A method using moments may not be considered valid if it does not accurately represent the data or if it makes assumptions that are not supported by the data. Additionally, if the data is not normally distributed, moments may not provide an accurate representation of the data.

How can I determine if a method using moments is appropriate for my research?

To determine if a method using moments is appropriate for your research, you should first assess the distribution of your data. If your data is normally distributed, moments may be a valid method. However, if your data is skewed or has outliers, moments may not provide an accurate representation.

What are the limitations of using moments in scientific research?

Moments have several limitations, including the assumption of normality, sensitivity to outliers, and the inability to capture the full complexity of data. Additionally, moments may not be suitable for non-parametric data or data with a small sample size.

Are there alternative methods to moments for analyzing data?

Yes, there are alternative methods to moments for analyzing data. Some common alternatives include quantile-based methods, non-parametric methods, and robust methods. It is important to carefully consider the type of data and research question when selecting a method for data analysis.