1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is this property true of sets/indicator functions? (A page from my textbook)

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    I can't for the life of me figure out why the underlined sentence in red is true:

lebesguelinear.png

Could someone clarify?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That page doesn't tell us what ##E## or ##S_0(E)## represent. Nor what the canonical representation of ##\phi \in S_0(E)## is.

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    My apologies,

##E## is a measurable set.

##S_0(E)## is the set of simple functions on ##E##.

The canonical representation of ##\phi \in S_0(E)## is a linear combination of characteristic functions ##\phi = \sum_{i=1}^na_i\mathcal{X}_{E_i}##.

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm guessing there is more to the definition of canonical representation. Maybe you are given that the ##A_i## are disjoint with each other and ##B_j## similarly. And if ##\cup_i A_i = E## and ##\cup_j B_j = E## that would explain those equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook