Why LC tank only oscillates at resonant frequency?

In summary, LC tank circuits only oscillate at their resonant frequency because this is when the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal, allowing for the efficient transfer of energy. Applying other frequencies can disrupt the resonance and interfere with the circuit's voltage. However, other types of oscillators, such as the Colpitts and Hartley oscillators, can also achieve oscillation through the use of transistors and tuned drain circuits. The specific circuit mentioned is a cross-coupled oscillator, where the behavior of the transistors causes the oscillation to start and continue.
anhnha
I am wondering why LC tank only oscillates at resonant frequency not other frequencies?
Is there a physics explanation for that?

Likes EmilyRuck
Physics news on Phys.org
"resonance" is achieved when the inductive and Capacative reactance's are equal in magnitude.

What does this mean physically?

It means that if you apply a time-varying voltage that has a frequency equal to the resonant frequency of the circuit, the energy you give the circuit by applying the voltage will be passed back and forth by the capacitive and inductive components based on the frequency.

So why not other frequencies?

If you applied a frequency other than the resonant frequency when the energy of the circuit was being passed to/from the components the applied voltage would be having some interferring affect on the circuit voltage. So the nice, resonant voltage that the capacitor and inductor would have made would be interrupted by the applied voltage's frequency. Which may disturb the 'rhythm' of the resonance.

Not sure if that was the explanation you were looking for but hopefully it helps to some degree.

Likes anhnha and EmilyRuck
anhnha said:
I am wondering why LC tank only oscillates at resonant frequency not other frequencies?
Is there a physics explanation for that?
Yes. If you write down the equation for the current and voltage, you get a second-order differential equation with the resonant frequency as the solution (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC_circuit for the explanation of the derivation).

Likes anhnha
Thanks a lot!
I have one more question. Assume I have an ideal parallel LC and it is connected permanently with an ideal constant voltage source. Does the LC tank oscillate with a sinusoidal waveform? I am confused because it is connected with a constant voltage source?

Last edited:
anhnha said:

That's not true. It will oscillate at whatever frequency you drive it at.

If the signal isn't time varying there will be no oscillation.

So, could you explain why this cross coupled oscillator below oscillate? It is only connected with a DC voltage source.
?temp_hash=713c7af97eb30dea4da997653fc8b800.png

Attachments

• Cross coupled Oscillator.png
    Cross coupled Oscillator.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 913
That's not an LC circuit. That's not even an RLC circuit.

Hi, I read that that circuit can be converted to LC tank circuit using negative resistance of these mos transistors.
So I think they are equivalent.

I'm not familiar with the symbols but they might be transistors.

In that case the transistors could be used to cut the DC voltage to make a time varying voltage. If the transistors were capable of switching pretty frequently it may resemble a regular AC circuits characteristics.

Jarrodmccarthy said:
I'm not familiar with the symbols but they might be transistors.

They're MOSFETs. And circuits with transistors are not simple LC circuits.

anhnha said:
So, could you explain why this cross coupled oscillator below oscillate? It is only connected with a DC voltage source.
?temp_hash=713c7af97eb30dea4da997653fc8b800.png
Oscillation - it is possible. It looks like a Flip-Flop with tuned drain circuits to me. Since the LC combination has no phase shift at resonance, it does not help any. What helps, is that the MOSFET that is "on" only has a given amount of current (current source at the bottom of the figure) and after some time the current through the inductance does not increase and the voltage across it will decrease. This will make the other MOSFET start conducting, sending a current through its drain circuit and "stealing " current from the first MOSFET. This behavior will "kick" the drain circuit into oscillation mode and couple this oscillation to the other MOSFET.

There are several variants of LC tank oscillator, and this is not one of the most used. The dominant circuits are the Colpitts oscillator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colpitts_oscillator) and the Hartley oscillator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartley_oscillator).

Vanadium 50 said:
They're MOSFETs. And circuits with transistors are not simple LC circuits.
I guessed they were transistors so thanks for specifying MOSFE.
Seems like Svein said a more sophisticated version of what I said to me.

Svein said:
Oscillation - it is possible. It looks like a Flip-Flop with tuned drain circuits to me. Since the LC combination has no phase shift at resonance, it does not help any. What helps, is that the MOSFET that is "on" only has a given amount of current (current source at the bottom of the figure) and after some time the current through the inductance does not increase and the voltage across it will decrease. This will make the other MOSFET start conducting, sending a current through its drain circuit and "stealing " current from the first MOSFET. This behavior will "kick" the drain circuit into oscillation mode and couple this oscillation to the other MOSFET.

There are several variants of LC tank oscillator, and this is not one of the most used. The dominant circuits are the Colpitts oscillator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colpitts_oscillator) and the Hartley oscillator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartley_oscillator).

Thanks for the detailed answer.
I have some problems understanding the oscillator. The first one relating to the boldfaced part above. I don't get what you meant here.
Second problem is that how can the oscillation start up? Two transistors are exactly the same, so which one will be ON first? Will both transistors be OFF permanently?

anhnha said:
Thanks for the detailed answer.
I have some problems understanding the oscillator. The first one relating to the boldfaced part above. I don't get what you meant here.
Second problem is that how can the oscillation start up? Two transistors are exactly the same, so which one will be ON first? Will both transistors be OFF permanently?
I think those resistances are different so there would be a potential difference giving preference to one MOSFET or the other.

Jarrodmccarthy said:
I think those resistances are different so there would be a potential difference giving preference to one MOSFET or the other.
Hi, the resistances are same (not exactly because tolerance)

anhnha said:
If both start OFF, they will not draw current, which makes the drain HIGH, turning the other one ON. If both start ON, they will pull the drain low, turning the other one OFF. Which one? Random.

Likes anhnha
I simulated the oscillator. If Vdd is step voltage then the oscillator oscillates but if Vdd is constant then it doesn't oscillate. Could you explain why?

anhnha said:
I simulated the oscillator. If Vdd is step voltage then the oscillator oscillates but if Vdd is constant then it doesn't oscillate. Could you explain why?
As I remarked above:
Svein said:
It looks like a Flip-Flop with tuned drain circuits to me.
Such a circuit will usually only oscillate when you do not want it to (cf. Murphy's law). Try this circuit instead:
Nanopower-Lc-colpitts-Oscillator-Circuit.jpg
(copied from http://www.datasheetdir.com/Nanopower-Lc-colpitts-Oscillator-Circuit+Application-Notes, you can find component values there).

1. Why does an LC tank only oscillate at resonant frequency?

The LC tank circuit is a type of electrical oscillator that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. At the resonant frequency, the reactances of the inductor and capacitor are equal and opposite, resulting in a cancellation of the reactance. This allows a continuous flow of current through the circuit, creating an oscillating electrical signal.

2. What happens if the LC tank circuit is not at resonant frequency?

If the LC tank circuit is not at resonant frequency, the reactances of the inductor and capacitor will not cancel each other out and the circuit will not oscillate. Instead, the circuit will behave like a regular series or parallel RLC circuit, depending on the configuration of the components.

3. How does the resonant frequency of an LC tank circuit relate to its components?

The resonant frequency of an LC tank circuit is determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor. The higher the values of these components, the lower the resonant frequency will be. Conversely, lower values of inductance and capacitance will result in a higher resonant frequency.

4. Can the resonant frequency of an LC tank circuit be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of an LC tank circuit can be changed by altering the values of the inductor or capacitor. This can be done by physically changing the components or by using variable components, such as a variable capacitor, to adjust the resonant frequency.

5. What are some practical applications of LC tank circuits?

LC tank circuits are commonly used in electronic devices for a variety of purposes, including as oscillators in radio frequency circuits, as filters in signal processing, and as tuning circuits in radio receivers. They are also used in more complex circuits, such as inductively coupled plasma (ICP) systems for spectroscopic analysis.