Why only two kinds of vector products defined?

• Thread starter Sunny Singh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the dot and cross product for vector multiplication are defined because they have been found to be the most useful and versatile tools for solving physics and engineering problems. Other types of vector products exist but are not commonly encountered because they are not needed in the majority of physical situations.
Sunny Singh
Why only the dot and cross product for vector multiplication is defined and not another kind of vector product like one in which the magnitude is that of the dot product and direction is of the cross product. I mean if A and B be two vectors then let there be a vector product such that A#B=ABcos@i where @ is the angle between A and B and i is the direction perpendicular to both of them described by right hand screw rule. Why don't we encounter any situation in Physics where such a vector product is required?? Why is the dot and cross product sufficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunny Singh said:
Why only the dot and cross product for vector multiplication is defined and not another kind of vector product...
You have just defined another kind of vector product. So your question is now obsolete.

A.T. said:
You have just defined another kind of vector product. So your question is now obsolete.
sorry my question was incomplete at that time. i want to ask why only dot and cross product is required in physics like when calculating work done and Torque? why any other type of vector product is not required for any physical situation and hence not defined?

Sunny Singh said:
sorry my question was incomplete at that time. i want to ask why only dot and cross product is required in physics like when calculating work done and Torque? why any other type of vector product is not required for any physical situation and hence not defined?

Those two are the ones that have been found to be most useful (in the sense of being good tools for solving problems) in all the physics that you'll be studying before you to get to quantum mechanics. They're also needed for much of engineering and mechanical design. Thus, they're the ones that get taught first and most widely.

As other posters in this thread have pointed out, there are other possible vector products as well - most people just never never encounter them because they never study the sorts of problems in which they would be useful.

1. Why are there only two kinds of vector products defined?

The two kinds of vector products, the dot product and the cross product, are defined because they have distinct mathematical properties and serve different purposes. The dot product gives a scalar quantity and is used to find the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another. The cross product gives a vector quantity and is used to find the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors or to determine the direction of a resulting vector from two given vectors.

2. Can more than two vector products be defined?

While there are only two commonly used vector products, it is possible to define other types of vector products. However, these products may not have the same useful properties as the dot and cross products, and are not as widely used in mathematics or science.

3. Why is the dot product sometimes called the "scalar product"?

The dot product is sometimes referred to as the scalar product because it gives a scalar quantity as the result, rather than a vector. This is in contrast to the cross product, which gives a vector quantity as the result.

4. How do the dot and cross products relate to each other?

The dot and cross products are related through the distributive law, which states that the dot product of two vectors multiplied by a scalar is equal to the scalar multiplied by the cross product of the same two vectors. This relationship is used in various mathematical and physical applications.

5. Can the dot and cross products be used in any dimensional space?

The dot and cross products are defined in three-dimensional space, but can also be extended to higher dimensional spaces. However, their properties and applications may differ in higher dimensions, and other types of vector products may be used instead.