Why P^-1AP forms a triangular matrix

In summary, (P^-1)AP forms a triangular matrix because it can be put into Jordan normal form, where some of the columns of P are eigenvectors and some are generalized eigenvectors. This is due to the matrix A being diagonalizable or not, and the resulting matrix J is of the Jordan form.
d.vaughn
why does (P^-1)AP form a triangular matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
d.vaughn said:

If P=I, and A is not triangular, then clearly (P^-1)AP=A is not triangular.

It appears you need to supply more information.

for P, I have the matrix P = (4,-9; 4,-8) and the A matrix is A = (3,2; 2,1)
I found P^-1 to be (-1,2; 2,-3)
When I performed P^1AP, I got (-2,1; 0,-2) and I want to know why this formed a triangular matrix

Please refine your question. "[itex]P^{-1}AP[/itex]" for general A and P is NOT "triangular" and it is not clear what conditions you intend on A and P.

d.vaughn said:
for P, I have the matrix P = (4,-9; 4,-8) and the A matrix is A = (3,2; 2,1)
I found P^-1 to be (-1,2; 2,-3)
When I performed P^1AP, I got (-2,1; 0,-2) and I want to know why this formed a triangular matrix

Do you understand eigenvalues? -2 is an eigenvalue with algebraic multiplicity 2, geometric multiplicity 1.

I.e. the charactersitic polynomial is (λ+2)2, but there is only eigenvector. In this case, the matrix is not diagonalizable. However, all matrices can be put into Jordan-Normal form, which a diagonal matrix is a special case of. If the matrix is diagonalizable, then P is a matrix with columns the eigenvectors. If it is not diagonalizable, then some of the columns of P will be eigenvectors, some of them will be what are called generalized eigenvectors.

Let J denote your Jordan matrix, J=P-1AP. Then PJ=AP. Then let P=[v w], where v and w are column vectors. Then PJ=[-2v v-2w], so Av=-2v, and Aw=v-2w. So v is an eigenvector, while w is "almost" an eigenvector.

d.vaughn said:

So in general, it is more than a triangular matrix, it is of the jordan form. That is one reason we did not recognize it sooner.

That is, when I hear triangular matrix, my brain goes into a freeze because I do not feel I know the full significance of those objects, with respect to where they arise and what properties they have.

Happy hunting!

1. Why is P^-1AP a triangular matrix?

P^-1AP is a triangular matrix because the eigenvectors of P^-1AP form a basis for the vector space. This means that the matrix can be diagonalized, with the eigenvalues on the main diagonal and the off-diagonal elements being zero. This results in a triangular matrix.

2. How does the triangular form of P^-1AP benefit us?

The triangular form of P^-1AP allows for easier computation of the matrix. Specifically, it simplifies the process of finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which are important in many applications of linear algebra.

3. Can P^-1AP always be transformed into a triangular matrix?

No, P^-1AP can only be transformed into a triangular matrix if the matrix A is diagonalizable and if P^-1 exists. If these conditions are met, then P^-1AP will always result in a triangular matrix.

4. What is the significance of the triangular form in P^-1AP?

The triangular form in P^-1AP allows for a clearer understanding of the matrix's properties and behavior. It also simplifies the process of finding solutions to linear systems of equations involving the matrix.

5. Can the triangular form of P^-1AP be used in any specific applications?

Yes, the triangular form of P^-1AP is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is particularly useful in solving differential equations, calculating matrix powers, and analyzing the stability of a system.