Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why P^-1AP forms a triangular matrix

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    why does (P^-1)AP form a triangular matrix?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    If P=I, and A is not triangular, then clearly (P^-1)AP=A is not triangular.

It appears you need to supply more information.

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3
    for P, I have the matrix P = (4,-9; 4,-8) and the A matrix is A = (3,2; 2,1)
    I found P^-1 to be (-1,2; 2,-3)
    When I performed P^1AP, I got (-2,1; 0,-2) and I want to know why this formed a triangular matrix

5. Jun 17, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please refine your question. "[itex]P^{-1}AP[/itex]" for general A and P is NOT "triangular" and it is not clear what conditions you intend on A and P.

6. Jun 17, 2012 #5
    Do you understand eigenvalues? -2 is an eigenvalue with algebraic multiplicity 2, geometric multiplicity 1.

I.e. the charactersitic polynomial is (λ+2)2, but there is only eigenvector. In this case, the matrix is not diagonalizable. However, all matrices can be put into Jordan-Normal form, which a diagonal matrix is a special case of. If the matrix is diagonalizable, then P is a matrix with columns the eigenvectors. If it is not diagonalizable, then some of the columns of P will be eigenvectors, some of them will be what are called generalized eigenvectors.

Let J denote your Jordan matrix, J=P-1AP. Then PJ=AP. Then let P=[v w], where v and w are column vectors. Then PJ=[-2v v-2w], so Av=-2v, and Aw=v-2w. So v is an eigenvector, while w is "almost" an eigenvector.

7. Jun 17, 2012 #6
    So in general, it is more than a triangular matrix, it is of the jordan form. That is one reason we did not recognize it sooner.

That is, when I hear triangular matrix, my brain goes into a freeze because I do not feel I know the full significance of those objects, with respect to where they arise and what properties they have.

Happy hunting!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook