Why Not P(A)*(1-P(A)) for Probability?

• I
  • Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: Therefore, when calculating the probability of an event, we cannot simply multiply the probability of the event by the probability of its complement. Instead, we must use the formula P(A) = P(A∩B) + P(A∩B'), where B is the complement of A. In the case of picking an ace from a deck of cards, this means calculating the probability of picking an ace and nothing else, which is (4/52)*(48/52) = 4/52.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Probability of picking ace from deck, 4/52, OK. But it's also "probability that the card is an ace and nothing else": i.e. (4/52)*(48/52). Why not?
The summary says it all: why is the probability of an event not calculated by the probability that it is the event AND that it is not any other? Sounds silly, and I am certain the explanation is simple, but I don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The event ##A## that the card is an ace, A = ##\{A_D, A_H, A_S, A_C \}##, is identical to the event B that the card is not anything other than an ace.$$P(A \cap B) = P(A) = P(B) = \frac{4}{52}$$The 'and' is redundant, you'd just be multiplying by 1.

Likes nomadreid
Ah. Right. Thanks, etotheipi.

Formally ##P(A\cap B) = P(A) \ P(B|A)##. In this case we have ##P(B|A)=1## so you can indeed calculate it both ways, you just have to use the right formula.

Also, the probability of nothing else is not 48/52. That is the probability of anything else. The probability of nothing else would be 1-48/52 = 4/52

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, jim mcnamara, etotheipi and 1 other person
Thanks, Dale.
As far as "nothing else", that was poorly phrased; you are right, I meant "anything else."

Likes Dale
nomadreid said:
Summary:: Probability of picking ace from deck, 4/52, OK. But it's also "probability that the card is an ace and nothing else": i.e. (4/52)*(48/52). Why not?

The summary says it all: why is the probability of an event not calculated by the probability that it is the event AND that it is not any other? Sounds silly, and I am certain the explanation is simple, but I don't see it.

An event and its complement are not independent, and nor are an event and the complement of its complement (which is the original event itself).

FAQ: Why Not P(A)*(1-P(A)) for Probability?

1. Why is P(A) always greater than P(A)(1-P(A))?

P(A) represents the probability of an event A occurring, while P(A)(1-P(A)) represents the probability of event A not occurring. Since the probability of an event occurring is always greater than the probability of it not occurring, P(A) will always be greater than P(A)(1-P(A)).

2. Can you give an example to illustrate why P(A) is not equal to P(A)(1-P(A))?

Imagine a coin flip where the probability of getting heads is P(A) = 0.5. The probability of not getting heads (or getting tails) is 1-P(A) = 0.5. If we calculate P(A)(1-P(A)), we get 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25. This means that the probability of getting heads and not getting heads is 0.25, which is not equal to the original probability of getting heads (P(A) = 0.5).

3. Why is P(A) not equal to P(A)(1-P(A)) in all cases?

P(A) and P(A)(1-P(A)) represent different probabilities and therefore, they will not be equal in all cases. P(A) represents the probability of an event occurring, while P(A)(1-P(A)) represents the probability of an event not occurring. These two probabilities are not interchangeable and will only be equal in special cases, such as when P(A) = 0 or P(A) = 1.

4. How does the formula P(A) = P(A)(1-P(A)) relate to the concept of complement?

The formula P(A) = P(A)(1-P(A)) can be rewritten as P(A) = P(A) x P(A'). In this form, we can see that P(A') (the probability of event A not occurring) is equivalent to 1-P(A). This is known as the complement of event A. Therefore, the formula shows that the probability of event A is equal to the probability of event A occurring multiplied by the probability of its complement.

5. Is the formula P(A) = P(A)(1-P(A)) applicable to all types of probabilities?

The formula P(A) = P(A)(1-P(A)) is applicable to all types of probabilities, as long as P(A) and P(A)(1-P(A)) represent the same event or outcome. This formula is commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of an event occurring or not occurring.

Back