Why use SGI for video editing/effects

• Thread starter Rockazella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, SGI's hardware layout makes their systems superior to those of other companies when it comes to graphics work. Although the hardware is expensive and the software to take advantage of it is also expensive, the system is worth it because of the high numerical precision and memory addressing that the 64 bit processor offers.
Rockazella
As a hobby I do lots of video editing/effects type stuff. Recently I have started to look for a new beefier system. I've been scanning through video forums searching for hardware recommendations. I came across one thread about SGI's stuff and how it's tops in speed when it comes to graphics work.

Although SGI's workstations are way way way out of my budget, I am just curious what's with their hardware layout that makes them so superior to PCs and Macs when it comes to graphics?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Because SGI uses dual 64bit processors and a proprietary graphics card with the IRIX OS (64 bit Unix) and graphics software that actually takes advantage of the system. They also have 8 Gigs of Ram.

Not only is the hardware expensive but 64 bit video processing apps are equally expensive.

Intel and apple doesn't make consumer products with hardware similiiar to SGI because consumers can't afford it.

Even though apple and amd are marketing 64bit processors to consumers, they aren't true 64 bit systems as the software can't take advantage of the hardware

Even though apple and amd are marketing 64bit processors to consumers, they aren't true 64 bit systems as the software can't take advantage of the hardware

Aren't true 64bit? how can a processor be 64bit, but not true 64bit?

by "true 64 bit systems", I am talking about hardware and software. Yes the processor can run in 64bit mode, but the software isn't, therefore the system isn't true 64bit. It is a 64bit processor running 32bit code in emulation mode.

Originally posted by dduardo
by "true 64 bit systems", I am talking about hardware and software. Yes the processor can run in 64bit mode, but the software isn't, therefore the system isn't true 64bit. It is a 64bit processor running 32bit code in emulation mode.
Slight clarification: older apple's advertised even 128 bit. The AMD Athlon 64 is a 32/64 bit proc in that it runs both equally well. MS is working on the operating system so for now it will only run in 32 bit mode. Intel has the Itanium which runs 64 bit and emulates 32 bit (badly). It runs 64 bit Unix software right now. Apple's new G5 is 64 bit (I think).

I don't know too much about these processy gizmos, or about any computer hardware really. For clarification, a 64bit processor is one that can process 64bits at a time, or per clock cycle? Also, you say that the OS needs to be specifically designed for the bit number of the proc...I'm a bit confused about that...or maybe it's just that I wasn't aware of it before. Ah whatever, bet there's plenty of things I don't know about computers.

One more question:
Can any computer process a file of any bit depth? I know 8 bits is a byte, and a byte (and multiples of a byte) hold some significance in computers. Yet some video(true HiDef) is 10bit. Since 10bit isn't a multiple of 8 do you need special hardware to process it, or is it just the software that needs to be designed for the files bit depth?

The best way to explain it is in terms of numerical precision and memory addressing (though there is more to it than that). A 32 bit proc processes data in 32 bit chunks. 32 bits is 2^32 or 4,294,967,296 different combinations or a numerical precision of 1/4,294,967,296. It also means that if you want to catalog something, its label has that many combinations. 4,294,967,296 bytes is 4 gigabytes - the current limit in a PC's memory capacity.

So if you kick it up to 64 bits, now you have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 combinations. The precision of your calculations is far higher and now you can address significantly more memory.

The best way to explain it is in terms of numerical precision and memory addressing (though there is more to it than that). A 32 bit proc processes data in 32 bit chunks. 32 bits is 2^32 or 4,294,967,296 different combinations or a numerical precision of 1/4,294,967,296. It also means that if you want to catalog something, its label has that many combinations. 4,294,967,296 bytes is 4 gigabytes - the current limit in a PC's memory capacity.

So if you kick it up to 64 bits, now you have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 combinations. The precision of your calculations is far higher and now you can address significantly more memory.

numerical precision? memory adressing? memory label combinations?
Sorry, I've never really been given a good explanation of the processes of processing before, and I think I'd need one before that would make much sense.

Was that intended to answere my second question as well? I'll ask it again anyway:
Can any computer process a file of any bit depth? I know 8 bits is a byte, and a byte (and multiples of a byte) hold some significance in computers. Yet some video(true HiDef) is 10bit. Since 10bit isn't a multiple of 8 do you need special hardware to process it, or is it just the software that needs to be designed for the files bit depth?

Also,
Russ, dduardo, or anyone...can you recommend a good site or maybe a book that could thoroughly teach me the basics of this stuff?

"memory addressing" is exactly what it sounds like - its the address (location) of a specific piece of data in the computer's memory. Just like your address is the specific location of your house in your neighborhood. As I showed with the math, there are only enough specific addresses to use 4GB of memory using 32 bit addressing.

Numerical precision is just decimal places: 1.00 is ten times more precise than 1.0.

Not too tough, right?

Can any computer process a file of any bit depth?
Yes. Essentially (simple answer) its just a software issue.

1. Why is SGI recommended for video editing and effects?

SGI (Silicon Graphics International) is a leading company in high-performance computing and graphics technology. Their systems are specifically designed for handling complex graphics and video tasks, making them ideal for video editing and effects. SGI workstations are equipped with powerful processors, advanced graphics cards, and high-speed storage, allowing for smooth and efficient editing and rendering of high-resolution video footage.

2. How does SGI compare to other computers for video editing and effects?

SGI workstations are often preferred over other computers for video editing and effects due to their specialized hardware and software. They are specifically designed to handle complex graphics and video tasks, resulting in faster processing speeds and higher quality output. Additionally, SGI's advanced hardware and software can handle large amounts of data and complex visual effects that other computers may struggle with.

3. Can SGI handle all types of video formats?

Yes, SGI workstations are capable of handling a wide range of video formats, including high-resolution and uncompressed formats. SGI's powerful hardware and specialized software allow for smooth playback and editing of even the most demanding video formats. Additionally, SGI offers compatibility with industry-standard software for video editing and effects, making it a versatile option for video professionals.

4. Is SGI only suitable for professional video editors?

No, SGI workstations can be beneficial for both professional and amateur video editors. While SGI is often used in the film and television industry, it can also be useful for individuals or small businesses looking to produce high-quality videos. SGI's advanced hardware and software can help improve the overall quality and efficiency of video editing and effects, making it a valuable tool for anyone looking to create high-quality videos.

5. Are SGI workstations expensive?

SGI workstations are a significant investment, but they are designed for professional use and offer advanced features and capabilities. The cost of an SGI workstation will vary depending on the specific model and configuration, but they are generally more expensive than standard computers. However, for those in the film and television industry or other video professionals, the cost can be justified by the increased productivity and high-quality output that SGI workstations provide.