Why the metric is covariantly constant?

I couldn't make much sense of it. However, I did post in the General relativity subforum and received some helpful responses. I understand now that the metric being covariantly constant is not a fundamental property, but rather a consequence of the equations of motion in general relativity.
Giammy85
[SOLVED] Why the metric is covariantly constant?

you can show that the metric is covariantly constant by writing:
V_a;b=g_acV^c;b

for linearity V_a;b=(g_acV^c);b=g_ac;bV^c+g_acV^c;b

than must be g_ac;b=0

is there an alternative argument that show that is true?

if I calculate g_ac;b considering that g_ac is a (0,2) tensor than I will write the 2 connections in form of the metric, but I have obtained this form using the fact that g_ac;b=0 so it seems to me like I'm just turning around

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, the explanation given in Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler is circular, yes. There are other, external ways to arrive at the conclusion that the metric is covariantly constant. It is also possible to obtain the formula for the Christoffel symbols without assuming [itex]\nabla_{\gamma}g_{\alpha \beta} = 0[/itex], but it involves some tricky algebra and index-juggling. I'm not sure why MTW didn't bother to include it.

You can try working it out yourself...I was able to after a little thought, but it did stump me for a while.

Last edited:
I just need an argument (even shorter than what I wrote) that shows that the metric is truly covariantly constant.

Hmm...I know that the reason we want the metric to be covariantly constant is so that the operation of raising/lowering indices commutes with the covariant derivative...otherwise, it would make all of our calculations at least twice as difficult. However, I fail to see why this must be so, except in the roundabout method of proving the formula for [itex]\Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu \nu}[/itex] first.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help. :|

can't be something related to the properties that the metric must have to represent univocally a particular frame of reference?

my teacher gave me a little hint: it's something related to tensor equations :uhh::rolleyes:

Giammy85 said:
my teacher gave me a little hint: it's something related to tensor equations :uhh::rolleyes:

That does not tell much!
have you looked at the thread referenced by robphy? In general, one could have a torsion field which would increase the fields describing the theory. Assuming a torsion free theory is, as far as I know, an assumption based on simplicity and economy, not a requirement from a mathematical point of view. The fact that there is no torsion in "real life" is something determined by experiment.

EDIT: You may want to post in the General relativity subforum to get more replies.

Last edited:
nrqed said:
That does not tell much!
have you looked at the thread referenced by robphy? In general, one could have a torsion field which would increase the fields describing the theory. Assuming a torsion free theory is, as far as I know, an assumption based on simplicity and economy, not a requirement from a mathematical point of view. The fact that there is no torsion in "real life" is something determined by experiment.

EDIT: You may want to post in the General relativity subforum to get more replies.

yes, I have but I haven't studied yet what a torsion field is

Why is it important to have covariantly constant metrics?

Having a covariantly constant metric is important because it allows for easier calculations and simplification of equations in differential geometry. It also allows for the formulation of invariant quantities, which are important in physics and other scientific fields.

What does it mean for a metric to be covariantly constant?

A metric that is covariantly constant means that its components do not change under coordinate transformations. This is important because it ensures that the metric remains consistent and does not vary based on the choice of coordinates.

How is a covariantly constant metric related to the concept of parallel transport?

A covariantly constant metric is closely related to parallel transport, as it ensures that the metric remains unchanged along a parallel path. This is important in understanding the curvature of a space and is essential in the mathematics of general relativity.

What are some examples of covariantly constant metrics?

Some examples of covariantly constant metrics include the Minkowski metric in special relativity, the Euclidean metric in flat space, and the Riemannian metric in general relativity. These metrics are all invariant under coordinate transformations and have important applications in physics and mathematics.

How does a covariantly constant metric affect the curvature of a space?

A covariantly constant metric does not affect the curvature of a space, as it remains unchanged under coordinate transformations. However, it is an essential component in understanding and calculating the curvature of a space, as it allows for the formulation of invariant quantities and simplification of equations.