Why the speed of light in the equation?

In summary, the speed of light is important because it is the fastest possible speed that a signal can travel through the universe. The relationship between mass and energy is connected to the speed of light because the speed of light is the conversion factor between mass and energy.
jack616
Curious

Why does the equivalence of mass/energy involve the speed of light at all?
Is it because Einstein discovered that this was simply the correct multiplier
or was there some other reason to connect the speed of light to the relationship?

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your question in a satisfying way I'd basically have to start from scratch and derive Special Relativity for you. Basically, the speed of light appears in nearly every equation in SR and the energy equation is no exception. Why it's there is a difficult thing to explain in words. All you really need to know is that it acts as a conversion factor between mass and energy.

You're looking at it backwards.

c is the fundamental speed limit of the universe.

The speed of light, being limited by nothing else, travels at the fastest possible speed of universe - which is c.

Thanks - but
I ask the question because that's the question I'd like an answer to.
So perhaps someone else can explain the relationship ?
I realize it's tricky to explain some concepts.
And I'm not questioning that it IS the case.
I'm trying to understand why there is even a relationship there.
I've never heard it asked before but its puzzling me.

sorry people I got mixed up replying to incoming answers - I'm not meaning to be combative here -

Dave ok I can accept c is the universises speed limit
what I don't understand is why a speed limit is any part of
why mass=energy or vice versa.

If a mass is converted into energy why does the speed of light
have anything to do with calculating how much energy there is?

Ok, let's try this: relativistic momentum is proportional to the Lorentz factor, and the Lorentz factor involves c. When you calculate the work done in bringing a particle from rest to some velocity (the kinetic energy) you integrate over the momentum. When you solve that integral it is easy to see that energy is proportional to c2.

It is just a matter of units. Minkowski showed that space and time are equivalent coordinates in relativistic 4D space-time. Historically, space and time had been given different units (meters and seconds). If they are expressed in the same units, then c does not appear in the equations of SR. That is the way in which most working relativists write their equation, without c appearing.

Yeah, clem's right. It's a unit conversion thing.

Don't quote me on this but, if you use a light-second as the distance, the formula ends up being simply e=m.

jack616 said:
Curious

Why does the equivalence of mass/energy involve the speed of light at all?
Is it because Einstein discovered that this was simply the correct multiplier
or was there some other reason to connect the speed of light to the relationship?

If you like, the original derivation was based on a thought experiment involving light reflecting off a mirror. However, everything about SR is far more general then the original thought experiment and has been pointed out it's a unit thing, if you take the unit of time to be a meter say (i.e. your unit of time is the time it takes light to go a meter) then E simply equals m.

the thought experiment about the light clock is what really makes you go "oh, the speed of light really IS important"

at least it did for me

It stems from a derivation using Maxwell's equations. Long story short, you end up with:

c = 1/√[μ*ε]

Where μ and ε are the permeability and permittivity of free space, both of which are contants, thus c is constant as well. That is where c comes into play from a mathematical standpoin.

BF004 said:
It stems from a derivation using Maxwell's equations. Long story short, you end up with:

c = 1/√[μ*ε]

Where μ and ε are the permeability and permittivity of free space, both of which are contants, thus c is constant as well. That is where c comes into play from a mathematical standpoin.

Um.. that comes from the derivation that an electromagnetic wave IS light. I don't know what that has to do with SR (well not directly)

Conservation and mass, and conservation of energy, always appear separately in isolated systems. What Einstein did, was bringing the two laws of conservation together, and moreover, maybe re-define Mass and Energy, as two different names for the same thing (that's not quite accurate, but thinking of it this way is a good tool in order to understand harder equations/problems). Why c2 ? Well this is the constant of proportionality, you can derive the equation or look for the derivation, and see where did the c come from. Anyways, in natural units,and for convenience, c is replaced by a 1, which leaves us with a E=m, where E represents energy, and m represents mass (and not matter).

1. Why is the speed of light such a fundamental value in the equation?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental value in the equation E=mc² because it represents the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe. It is a constant value that does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference, making it a crucial parameter in many physical theories and equations.

2. How was the speed of light determined?

The speed of light was first determined by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century by observing the timing of Jupiter's moons. However, it was later accurately measured by physicist Albert Michelson and chemist Edward Morley in the late 19th century using an interferometer. Today, the speed of light is defined as exactly 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) by the International System of Units (SI).

3. Why does the speed of light have a specific value?

The speed of light is not just any arbitrary value, but it is a result of the properties of space and time. It is determined by the permeability and permittivity of free space, which are fundamental constants in physics. These constants, along with the speed of light, are what define the nature of the universe and make it possible for us to understand and explain many phenomena.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. This means that no object with mass can travel faster than the speed of light. While there have been some claims of particles exceeding the speed of light, they have all been disproven by further research. The speed of light is a fundamental limit that governs our understanding of the universe.

5. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains the relationship between time and space. According to this theory, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down, and space contracts in the direction of motion. This phenomenon, known as time dilation and length contraction, is essential in understanding how objects move and interact in our universe.