Why things cant go speed of light?

In summary, according to the equations of motion, the speed of a 1kg ball moving with a speed of 1m/s is affected by a force of 1N for 1sec. If you try to think too much about this, you may get lost and not understand what is happening.
Quarlep
Hello
I have doubt about this idea.Why things can't go speed of light.I heard that we have to give unlimited energy to make a thing goes speed of light.If you expain it to use math I will be glad

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
Hello
I have doubt about this idea.Why things can't go speed of light.I heard that we have to give unlimited energy to make a thing goes speed of light.If you expain it to use math I will be glad

Thanks for your help
Is the fact that gamma becomes undefined (division by zero) when the speed equals c good enough math for you?

Yeah I got it

ghwellsjr. Please tell me how things move at other than c. I'd really like to know.

Normally this should bring up the higgs bosson. But I would like to hear something else.

Rena Cray said:
ghwellsjr. Please tell me how things move at other than c. I'd really like to know.

How thing move with speeds less than c?
##F=ma##
##v=u+at##
##S=\frac{1}{2}(u+v)t##
##S=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2##
##v^2=u^2+2as##
Using these equations(Equations of motion) and Newtons 2nd law.

Rena Cray said:

Normally this should bring up the higgs bosson. But I would like to hear something else.

In addition to what adjacent said, keep in mind that "moves" has to be specified relative to something.

Why do you think the Higgs boson has anything to do with this?

Rena Cray said:

Is this another one of those Brian Greene inspired questions?

Quarlep,don't think too much for little or less complex things.For example,
A 1kg ball moves with a speed of 1m/s.
So a force of 1N was applied for 1sec.
If you are to think too much,
What is mass?,What is the nature of mass?
What is inertia and what causes it?
What causes gravity?and why?
What defines distance?
What produces force?
What type of force is that?
What is the nature of force?
What is time?
What if time slowed down there?
What is the nature of time?

These kind of questions may arise.
And if you go deeper and deeper,it gets more and more complex,making a simple problem difficult or even impossible.

1. Why can't anything go faster than the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is considered to be the ultimate speed limit. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This makes it impossible for anything to go faster than the speed of light.

2. Can anything ever break the speed of light barrier?

Currently, there is no evidence or technology that suggests anything can surpass the speed of light. While scientists have explored theories such as wormholes and warp drives that could potentially allow faster-than-light travel, these are still only hypothetical and have not been proven to exist.

3. What happens if something does go faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected and change as an object approaches the speed of light. If something were to surpass the speed of light, it would essentially be traveling back in time, which would violate the laws of physics. This suggests that the concept of exceeding the speed of light is not possible.

4. Is the speed of light a constant in all situations?

Yes, the speed of light is considered to be a constant in all situations, regardless of the observer's perspective. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, the speed of light will always appear to be the same. This is a key principle of Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

The only thing that can travel at the speed of light is light itself. This is because light is composed of massless particles called photons, which do not experience the same effects of mass and time as objects with mass. Therefore, light can travel at the speed of light without violating the laws of physics.