Why use prop planes to hunt hurricanes?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, propeller planes are preferred for exploring hurricanes because they can fly more slowly and are more agile, which allows investigators more time to study. They are also cheaper and easier for scientists to afford. Additionally, prop planes can remain airborne for longer periods of time compared to jet planes, making them more efficient for hurricane exploration. Furthermore, the risk of stalling in changing winds is lower for prop planes. This is exemplified by a video of a jet plane experiencing difficulties in a hail storm.
Loren Booda
What is the mechanical reason why hurricanes are explored with propeller planes, and not jet planes? Is it because of the density of water in clouds therein?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's most likely because prop planes fly more slowly and are more agile, giving the investigators more time to study.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
It's most likely because prop planes fly more slowly and are more agile, giving the investigators more time to study.

- Warren

They are? I didn't know that,

I thought it was because prop planes are cheaper and easier for scientists to afford with their scanty grants.

Also they sometimes haul drogues behind to sample the air (drop size, etc.), and a prop plane doesn't spew a stream of partly oxidized kerosene out the back.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
They are? I didn't know that,

I thought it was because prop planes are cheaper and easier for scientists to afford with their scanty grants.
It depends on the aircraft, but many jets have pretty high stall speeds -- and especially in the environment near a major storm, winds can quickly change direction and cause an aircraft to stall. By contrast, a Cessna with 40 degrees of flaps in the breeze can fly as slowly as about 35 miles per hour.

And yeah, they're a lot cheaper, too.

- Warren

A commonly used plane is the P-3 Orion, a turboprop. One benefit is it can remain airborne for 12 hours (without refueling). Thats considerably longer than a typical jet.

This is what happens when Jet plane tries its speed against a hail storm:
http://flightlevel.20megsfree.com/

This makes you think..

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i'd rather go 35mph than have that happen to my plane! oh my!

1. Why do scientists use prop planes to hunt hurricanes?

Scientists use prop planes to hunt hurricanes because they are smaller and more maneuverable than commercial jet planes, allowing them to fly closer to the storm and collect more accurate data. Prop planes are also better suited for low-altitude flying, which is necessary for hurricane research.

2. How do prop planes gather data on hurricanes?

Prop planes are equipped with specialized instruments such as radar, sensors, and dropsondes, which are used to measure temperature, pressure, humidity, wind speed and direction, and other important factors related to hurricanes. These instruments collect data as the plane flies through the storm.

3. Can prop planes fly through the eye of a hurricane?

Yes, prop planes are designed to fly through the eye of a hurricane. The eye is the calm center of the storm, and it is surrounded by the most intense winds and precipitation. By flying through the eye, scientists can gather important data on the structure and behavior of the storm.

4. Are there any risks associated with using prop planes to hunt hurricanes?

While there are always risks involved in flying through severe weather, prop planes used for hurricane research are equipped with advanced technology and are flown by experienced pilots. Safety protocols are also followed to minimize risks and ensure the well-being of the crew.

5. How does data collected by prop planes help us better understand and prepare for hurricanes?

The data collected by prop planes is used to improve hurricane forecasting and track the path and intensity of the storm. This information is vital for issuing timely and accurate warnings to communities in the path of the hurricane, allowing them to prepare and mitigate potential damage and loss of life.