Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why was my post deleted

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    i don't usually make "why was my post deleted" or "why was my thread closed" threads, but no one said they closed it. if they did, this would be asked in PM form.

why was this thread closed? afaik, it didn't bread any rules.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15840

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    that's all nice, but the thread wasn't about religious sects.

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, he could have bolded a different part of the rule...

If nobody sent you a warning for it, consider it a free pass for a first mistake and just avoid the topic of religion in the future.

6. Aug 9, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think it was more for the potential of the thread becoming an out of control discussion of religion. Some topics are just doomed.

7. Aug 9, 2005 #6
    it wasn't about religion. did you read the OP of the thread in question?

8. Aug 9, 2005 #7

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did read the post-- it was about why followers of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity clash so much, given that so much of their belief systems are the same. How one can say that that topic is not about religion is beyond me.

You asked for a reason why the thread was locked, and now you've received an answer. It looks like you're not content with that, but lobbying against the lock isn't going to do much good. The thread was a pretty clear-cut violation of PF's policy on religious discussion. It's exactly the sort of topic that is just asking to become a train wreck (and using the term 'crazies' was not an auspicious sign in this regard), and we don't need that here.

I think the question you ask in the thread is interesting and pertinent, but it's not an appropriate topic of discussion for these forums. I encourage you to pursue discussion of the topic elsewhere.

9. Aug 10, 2005 #8
    how is the topic of why people hate for no reason the same as the topic of religion? i don't understand how you see them as the same.

10. Aug 10, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because all of your examples were about religion and people of those religious beliefs, thus by your choice of examples, you made the topic about religion. Your topic didn't seem to be about hating for no reason, but hating because of religious beliefs. I have to agree with the mentors on this one, especially when you posted it in a forum with a big sticky thread cautioning against discussion of religious topics.

As hypnogogue pointed out, it's an interesting topic for discussion, just not on these forums.

11. Aug 10, 2005 #10

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your intended topic of discussion was "why people hate for no reason," I fail to see why you would choose to dedicate most of the post to drawing out the similarities of three major world religions for such a general subject matter. I also fail to see why you would pose your general question about human psychology thusly: "Christians believe that Jews only have part of the truth, Muhammad was not a prophet, and that Jesus was the son of Allah. All three agree on most of the doctrine, so why is there so much hate between the religions?"

I'm sorry, but this is not worth discussing any further. The thread was clearly about why certain religious groups 'hate' eachother, not why people hate eachother in general.

12. Aug 10, 2005 #11
    i didn't say "people in general" now did i? the whole thing about the religions being the same was to give insight into how i arrived at my question.

13. Aug 11, 2005 #12

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Pogostick,
    This policy came about because PF is a website dedicated to all people of the world who have a sincere interest in the sciences. Because "all people" can include those who have various backgrounds in different religious sects and denominations, we wish to not promote subject matter that may offend those who choose to be religious. Instead of combing through every topic of any religous content to see if it had the potential to be offensive (and this was what i was resorting to doing up until recently), we decided it would be best and easier to eliminate the subject altogether. You made a reference that "not all christians are crazy", thus implying some are. It is very possible we have christian members here who keep their religion out of the forums, but still wish to participate in scientific discussion. As the mentors see it, we don't see it right or fair to allow insulting of their belief systems, thus discouraging their active participation in science discussion.

Please be aware, there is no negotiation on this matter due to our history of dealing with sensitive religious topics. We have had bad luck on maintaining healthy discussion on religion, thus prompting this policy-which is certainly not a new one. You are welcome to read our archives of religious discussion (i believe they are still accessible?), and see why for yourself. Generally, those who refuse to cooperate with this policy continuously will see their membership privileges terminated. It is clear that your topic here violates our policy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?