1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why we use relative permeability

1. Nov 3, 2017 #1
    Why we use relative permeability if we have absolute
    permeability in electromagnetism?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because it's easier ?
    Perhaps you want to show some examples where you think different ?

4. Nov 5, 2017 #3
    I am more concerned regarding the theoretical aspect. Why cannot we just take absolute permeability of any material? In fact i have started reading about transformers and there i found relative permeability.

5. Nov 5, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Theoretical aspect ? Is ##\vec B = \mu \vec H## absolute enough ?
    who is 'we ' ?
    Who say we can not ?
    I can't guess where you found this. Oherwise I could try to explain... Please tell us where.

6. Nov 6, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, while permittivity and permeability of the vacuum, ##\epsilon_0## and ##\mu_0## are mere conversion constants from unnatural SI units to natural units, ##\epsilon_r## and ##\mu_r## are effective physical properties of the material, derivable from the microscopic structure of it in terms of linear-response theory.

7. Nov 6, 2017 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The relative permeability ## \mu_r ## gives the factor that the magnetic field in the core material is increased by over the applied magnetic field from the current in the conductor coils of a solenoid or transformer. The absolute permeability ## \mu=\mu_o \mu_r ## has an extra factor of ## \mu_o ## in it, (in SI units), which obscures this simple result. ## \\ ## In c.g.s. units, ## B=\mu H=\mu_r H ##, this problem is absent, because ## B=H+4 \pi M ##, without any ## \mu_o ## in front of the ## H ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted