Why would I have 240 on one lead into breaker panel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lead
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
ChrisZ
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I changed my breaker box and when I connected the two leads from the pole one is coming in at 120 and the other at 240. I did not change anything between the pole and incoming lead. What could have happened here and how do I trouble shoot / resolve this? The voltage out of the meter on the pole outside the house has both leads at 110V. Any ideas on what may be the problem?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
ChrisZ said:
I changed my breaker box and when I connected the two leads from the pole one is coming in at 120 and the other at 240. I did not change anything between the pole and incoming lead. What could have happened here and how do I trouble shoot / resolve this? The voltage out of the meter on the pole outside the house has both leads at 110V. Any ideas on what may be the problem?
Welcome to the PF.

First, any work like changing out your electrical panel would require permits and inspections from your local government agency. Hopefully you have such permits.

Next, that is work that a licensed electrician should be doing, not an amateur DIY'er. Please hire an electrician to help you with this work. Thread is closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff