Why Do Our Biological Clocks Make Us Sleep at Different Times?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, people in other countries have different sleep schedules than people in the United States. People in the United States are usually able to get to sleep at a reasonable time, while people in other countries are usually able to get to sleep later in the night. People in other countries also have to deal with the disadvantages of living far away from school.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why do you people all get to go to sleep, and I am getting ready to go to work :frown: [zz)]

no fair..

Physics news on Phys.org
i am not sleeping :p, got a few essay to write :(

Originally posted by Monique
Why do you people all get to go to sleep, and I am getting ready to go to work :frown: [zz)]

no fair..

Talk to me when you get home.

Also, since I found PF I quit sleeping.

Why is everyone able to get to sleep when I am sitting at 3:00 on a monday morning on my window ledge looking out over the entire school and not seeing a single light on.

People are wimps...

Originally posted by Zero
People are wimps...
Not me, man! I'm working while y'all are sleeping, too!

It seems that PF people have a lot in common, like working while others are sleeping. So, you're not alone, Monique. :smile:

Last night, I was studying while others were sleeping and I went to bed when everyone was about to wake up. So I got only 1.5 hours sleep. Probably I'll repeat it tonight. Everyday, at the time I leave home for school, most of my classmates are still sleeping. Everyday when I just arrive home from school, some of my classmates have already had tea and have got some rest. These are the disadvantages of living far away from school. Well, but isn't it fair as we all have 24 hours a day ?

I don't even have time for PF lately as exams are imminent.

I work from 4am to noon in the summer, and 2am to 10am during the rest of the year. Once or twice a week I'll work an extra 4 hours padded on to the end of my regular shift. Well, keeps me off the streets.

Originally posted by KLscilevothma
I don't even have time for PF lately as exams are imminent.

YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING!

Originally posted by Monique

no fair..

you must be living in a reverse osmosis world, like too many of us. What I would do if I were you is just go to sleep on the job.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING!
Good observation!

lol i thought i had cleared my insomnia, but i haven't so i am awake day AND night...apart from around 4.00am to 7.30am... where i doze!

you must be living in a reverse osmosis world, like too many of us. What I would do if I were you is just go to sleep on the job.

(raises head up from desk, wipes drool of cheek) Works for me!

No, seriously it seems more and more people are getting less sleep. I know I've been having car problems, and I've basically been forced to restore a car in less then 2 weeks time so I can continue working. Its been so long since I've had a good nights sleep I've about forgotten what its like to not have dark circles around my eyes. People are starting to think I've become a goth or something.

reading about this topic makes me sleepy...

Yeah, I'm always tired too and the PF isn't helping any.

You go to work at this hour? They must torture you in Amsterdam...
Oh yeah, (slaps self on face), time zones. duh!

Anyway, sleep and food are so mundane compared to, well... nevermind.

I've been so sleep deprived I look like a racoon. :frown:

Why is everyone always awake and clanging pans in the kitchen when *I'm* trying to sleep? That's what I want to know.

- Warren

I think the worst thing (for me at least) is that there is a flood light right next to my window. When it on its like the sun is at my window. When you wake up to a sun blasting through your window at 5 in the morning on the weekend you aren't happy.

*yawn* I get up at 3:00 am to go to work. The bad part is, I can't fall asleep until 11:00 pm so I end up feeling like this -->[zz)] at 10:00 in the morning. My biological clock makes about as much sense as working the early morning shift Heh. But, such is life... I guess.

BTW - Flood-lights are no fun.

1. Why do some people have trouble falling asleep?

There are many factors that can contribute to difficulty falling asleep, such as stress, anxiety, poor sleep habits, and medical conditions. It is important to identify the root cause in order to address the issue and improve sleep quality.

2. How much sleep do I really need?

The recommended amount of sleep varies depending on age and individual needs. On average, adults should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night, while teenagers may need 8-10 hours and children may require up to 12 hours. It is important to listen to your body and get the amount of sleep that allows you to feel well-rested and alert during the day.

3. Is it harmful to have irregular sleep patterns?

Having an irregular sleep schedule can disrupt your body's natural circadian rhythm, which can lead to difficulty falling asleep and poor sleep quality. This can have negative effects on your overall health and well-being. It is important to establish a consistent sleep schedule to promote better sleep.

4. Can I make up for lost sleep?

While it is possible to catch up on some missed sleep, it is not a long-term solution. Consistently not getting enough sleep can have negative effects on your health and can lead to chronic sleep deprivation. It is important to prioritize getting enough sleep every night to avoid these consequences.

5. How can I improve my sleep quality?

Some ways to improve sleep quality include establishing a consistent sleep schedule, creating a comfortable sleep environment, limiting screen time before bed, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. It is also important to address any underlying issues that may be causing poor sleep, such as stress or medical conditions.