Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wide bandgap semiconductor -- why higher temperature tolerance?

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    I was wondering if anyone knows the relationship with temperature and frequency tuning in wide bandgap semiconductors. I just want to know why wider bandgaps have higher temperature tolerance and why does that mean high frequencies can be achieved? Explanation with formulas would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2
    I don't know any formulas offhand but I can tell you that if the bandgap is larger, then it is harder to thermally excite electrons from the valence band to the conduction band. I don't know how that relates to frequencies though.

4. May 15, 2015 #3
    well silicon are currently used in most integrated devices due to its high thermal properties. i was wondering if the thermal coefficient of semiconductors were higher than that of silicon would that mean it would be able to achieve higher frequencies due to its wider bandgap?

5. May 16, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook